Might as well start with my house

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TPnTX, Apr 14, 2005.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

If I'm going to learn basic landscaping I might as well start at home because it will make a good case study.

1st of all my yard is huge, 2 aces at least. between the yard and the road is a pasture so I sit about 600' from the road.

When I did the landscaping last year I figured I need things to be big so that you could actually see the landscape design from a distance. I started off with a couple of Italian cypress, a few crape myrtles and then filling things in with various hedges, hollies.

I mentioned big, the flower beds are big, like 12' from the the house to the edge.

You can tell my design is by a rookie but really, it looks pretty good.

Maintenance is my problem now.

I put out a lot of non-float bark mulch and hoped for the best. Weeds and grass are a constant problem. If you go two weeks theres weeds everywhere and grass trying to grow in many places.

Can someone point me to a post or any other resource that can give me the basics on maintaining areas. I will use this to learn as well as take better care of something I worked so hard to make nice.

I don't have a pic of the plants but here's a link to show the size of the project

www.versacreator.com/TPnTX/house3.jpg

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Can't see a thing but the house in that pic.All I can advise at this point is to plant large trees in groupings throughout your front perimiter now.Also don't try to landscape the whole property,use the far areas for trees and then designate a boundry alot closer to the house for a garden and or lawn.
    If you attempt to plant the whole property ,you are talking alot of water use,maintenance,money,and work.