1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Might go with a V8 Truck, need help

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rarebreedx5, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Rarebreedx5

Rarebreedx5 LawnSite Member

I wanted to go with a diesel and I still might go that route. It just seems that diesels are still pretty high on price for a nice truck. I was looking at the new V8 models from ford and dodge. It seems that you can get a nice new truck for the money. My problem is that if I take a loan out it has to be 2004 or newer so the diesels are pretty high. My price range is 15-16k so let me know what you think about the ford and dodge V8 models. Thanks guys

2. Clean N Green

Clean N Green LawnSite Member

Both the 5.4 ford and the 5.7 dodge are good engines i think u would be happy with either choice. What r u planning on doing with the truck?
  3. Rarebreedx5

Im just going to be pulling a 6 by 12 enclosed trailer for landscaping and then just my every day driver as well.
  4. Clean N Green

Clean N Green LawnSite Member

Then you will be fine with a v8 just keep up on your maintenance and run synthetic oil... I would go with the ford just because I like the f-150 a little better then the ram but they are both good trucks
  5. Rarebreedx5

Thanks buddy,
  6. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds crazy but I actually like my 460 Ford better than my Duramax. The 460 feels like it has more power, it just doesn't quit.

Nothing wrong with a gas engine.
  7. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

IMO unless your pulling around 18,000 lbs on a regular basis, why would you spend the money on a diesel, unless you just have the money to burn...people are buying these things because it's the IN-Thing, and that's why the fuel is higher now, all the emission crap, etc. etc....but you know what they say about opinions!!!
  8. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Any of the big three produce a nice V8 pick up. You might be able to find a nice fully loaded truck with the gas engine for the price range your looking at. When I bought my diesel last year, the comparable gas trucks were half the cost! I would recommend a 3/4 ton so you have room to grow your business. The 1/2 tons are little overpriced right now because people are in over their heads on them, but it may fit your needs. Best of luck in your search.
  9. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

The dodge v8 has quite a bit more power than the ford v8; if you are planning on pulling large loads, the dodge will be faster.
  10. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

faster is in the gearing. Towing and work don't mean you need a faster truck. Less HP generally means it'll last longer, and be more durable. It's true for the earlier diesel engines of ten years ago compared to the current ones. For gas engines, it still lies true. A truck that's geared properly will last just as long as the next. You won't need anything higher than 3.73 gears for a small enclosed trailer, so if you want to go shorter it becomes more of a personal preference. I decided on my Durango only because I don't plow, I tow heavily, and my problem was tongue weight. I can have upwards of 600lbs before the thing shows much squat, I can have a throaty 360ci V8, and I can park it anywhere, even underground! The downside, is that the wife can drive it too.