Might have to lay off one of my guys

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by CAT powered, Oct 15, 2008.

1. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

This sucks. I might have to lay off one of my guys because I lost a contract. I had approximately 40 hours a week in D8 sized dozer work every week guaranteed and I had a guy on full time doing that. I had a dozer catch fire and it wasn't even a very large fire and now they're telling me that I'm unsafe and terminated my contract. The fire melted the insulation off some wires, but didn't even get hot enough to melt hydraulic hoses. I replaced the wires and had the machine operational after an inspection the same day.

I've seen identical dozers burn TO THE GROUND. Melted every hydraulic hose off, the fluid sprayed out and caught and almost lit the building on fire. That contractor was kept on and had his contract renewed.

Their guy backed his loader into my dozer because he didn't look when he backed up. He hit the side of the blade and spun the dozer 180 degrees around and I'm the unsafe one.

Sorry about the rant. It just irritates the hell out of me when I might have to lay off a good guy who has been married under a year because of Bull Sh*t company politics.

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Sorry to hear about that. Looks like they were looking for an excuse? Maybe the company has financial difficulties and can't pay anyways?

3. CAT powered

No. It's a massive company. They'll just bring in the next lowest bidder. It wasn't a money issue.

They also had their panties in a bunch because a radiator hose fell off before. I pulled the dozer out of the building and replaced the hose just to be safe, refilled, and threw down speedy-dry. And they called me to a "safety meeting" or some nonsense like that. My guy there always wears a hardhat and a safety green hi-vis vest when he is there whether he is in the machine or not. The machine has a strobe on the roof and a backup alarm. What else do they want me to do?

The last contractor there had a dozer burn to the ground like I said earlier. It just irritates me that I might have to lay off a good guy for no reason other than total BS.

4. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

How is that the employees fault? It seems like it was something that couldn't have been avoided if the wires were melting inside. It seems like it was more mechanical than something that was avoidable. Unless he knew it could happen? If I were you I would say give him a break. He's a human, and humans make mistakes, and especially how he's married I would give him the break. By firing him what do you gain? Maybe it will make you feel better for the time being, but think into the future. Just make him earn your respect all over again. Firing him is a little excessive.

5. CAT powered

I wouldn't fire him. Firing someone is terminating their employment because they've done something wrong.

I might have to lay him off. Laying someone off is when you have to terminate their employment for the time being because you haven't got enough work for them to do.

6. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh I guess I didn't realize there was a difference, and with that business I suppose there especially would be.

7. CAT powered

Yea. I really wish I could keep him on, but I can't justify paying him 30 bucks an hour to not do anything that pays the bills. I just don't have the work for him to do. I really wish I could keep him on my crew. He's a great operator. I've had him doing odd jobs around my yard when they didn't have the demand for a dozer at the facility I was contracted with and he could blade off a load of dirt just as well as I can and he's 20 years younger.

Hopefully if I have to lay him off I can get him hooked up with a guy I know that owns a VERY large dirt company that runs 40 D8 CATs every day all day.

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

who was the company if you can tell

9. CAT powered

CRRA

Connecticut Resource Recovery Association

10. CAT powered

Sorry. Authority. Connecticut Resource Recovery Authority.

Google CRRA and you'll find their website. I had the contract to run a dozer in one of their trash to energy plants.