1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Might have to raise price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ALBsun1, Nov 11, 2005.

1. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

I just bought a couple of stihl BR600s the other day, and i am absolutely amazed at how this unit performs. I obviously love it, but i am concerned that i could actually lose some money if i continue to charge an hourly rate for leaves which in the past has been $30/ a man hr. All the areas that i work in pick up the leaves, so there is no need to haul away. So, my problem is, these blowers might cut some of my jobs in half as compared to my previous kawasaki and echo mid range models. i don't want to make waves with customers, but, at the same time, i don't want to lose money either. The average customer will not understand our logic, so maybe i have to consider charging by the job and not the hour. Anyone else ever encounter anything like this?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yup...just continue to charge the same number of hours for each customer as you did last year. What do they care?
  3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

if you want a real mans blower get a red max 8000!-
  4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd just readjust it to what it needs to be.

I don't tell any of my customers what my hourly rate is. So if it used to take 1 hour @ 30 per man hour and now it takes 30 mins @ 60 per man hour, the price change won't effect them at all, just allows you to get more done.
  5. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i am not much on echo but i bought a pb651 last year and it has been a real lifesaver. i really like the redmax 8000 also. russo power equipment has them (echo 651) for $399. shipped to your door. thats about a $150. savings over the redmax. i may opt for another.....
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

The better and faster that you get at something, the higher your rate should be.

For example: So if you rakes leaves for $30 an hour last year, but this year got a blower and will only take half as long charge $50 an hour.
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

First mistake here is revealing your hourly rate to a customer. I always bid my work BY THE JOB! This way, they cannot look at what I charge per hour and raise hell about it.
  8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I just got a call today asking for a landscape job, the guy was like you get a discount on plants right? I said no Sir, I pay retail price, I'm not gonna get her a deal and save her money just by charging her wholesale.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hopefully you are good at keeping records.
    If so you can just dig up what they paid you last year and just go from there.
    Just convert what you were paid last year into this year's by the job price.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, I learned that lesson the hard way. For year round customers I still charge them by the hour, but for new customers that want a set price I just tell them a price, not my hourly rate.

I was talking with another LCO (the biggest in the city here) a couple nights ago about the same thing, and she totally agreed as well.