Mileage reports

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by the.hines, Jan 8, 2008.

1. the.hines

the.hines LawnSite Member

What do you guys use for keeping track of your miles driven for Taxes? I have just been keeping a notepad with how many miles I drove that day and where I went?

Thanks

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

every mile on my trucks are commercial so whatever is on the odomonter is what it is.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

For me... I dont flood my tax guy with milage on a daily basis.

I keep track of the milage I didn't use my truck for Business.

It's Less paper work

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

One way would be if you're on fleet fuel, here when I gas up I type in the odometer, but all I need is two figures, one start, one end.

Here in Virginia we are required to pass all vehicles through an annual state inspection, it's a $15 thing we get a sticker for it blablabla.

But we also get a little pink slip to stick in our glove compartment, and on that slip the inspector writes down among other things, the current odometer reading. So for tax purposes I just use the figures off the little pink slip I get every year.

5. the.hines

I am just wondering when it comes down to tax time if I drop off this book of trips with a total of miles I wonder if the tax guy is going to throw me out?

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

No he wont..... But like I was saying, If you use your truck primarly for the business,

Dont give this guy a ton of milage.... milage for thursday start 23456, end 23499

Just write down the milage at the start of the quarter, or year however you pay your taxes, and keep track of the milage you use your truck for personal use....

you will find it's a LOT LESS paper work and MATH.......

I would NOT take this book to him, I would simply tell him what it is..... 35,000 40,0000 however much it is....

this is the way I do it,,,,,,

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have an excel program that keeps a running total....just need to plug in the current mileage and it even calculates your deduction....if anyone wants it drop me a pm with ur email and Ill get it out to you

wayne

8. the.hines

Just sent you a PM hoping to get a copy