Mileage right off Question?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by eazy, Apr 2, 2004.

1. eazy

eazy LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Here's the deal, I am a fire fighter, so I work 24 hours and off 48 hours.

I live in the Waco area and work in the Austin area(fire department), the trip is about 90 miles. I have 8 residential accounts in the Waco area and 7 residential accounts in the Austin area.

So can I write of the mileage coming from Waco going to the fire station even though I will be doing the work on the yards the next day when I get of shift?

Thanks for your time,
    eazy

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Travel to and from "work(your day job)" is never deductable. In this case, id even venture to say the IRS could have a case to not allow you to take milage between the two cities.

talk to your accountant to be sure though

3. eazy

eazy LawnSite Member
    from Texas

The thing is, I do not have a full time accountant. I use my brother in law who is CPA that is a few college hours and a Test short from being a accounted(Might have that back wards). He is out of town this week and that is why I am asking.

His wife who knows a little about what he does thinks there is a possible way of writing of the mileage coming from Waco to Austin even though I will be doing the lawn work the next day since I will be pulling my trailer and the equipment.

So should I be able to right off the mileage from the mourning I get off since I will be doing Work from Austin to Waco?

Any other info would be surely appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
    eazy

4. eazy

eazy LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Anymore help on this one?

Thanks,
    eazy

5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Yes,you can write it off.Your home office is in Waco(your home).You have accounts in Austin..(90 miles away).It would be the same as you having the accounts and NOT being a firemen.You would still have to drive to Austin to service these accounts.Just because you'll be working another job while you're there has no bearing.Count your mileage from your home office and to each account and then count the mileage back to your home office.Just record the mileage when you leave home and when you return home.(Don't count anything not work related,like driving your buddy to strip joint or anything)

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I stand corrected, from one of my tax books:

" another exepmtion is provided for an employee who has a second job. The expenses of getting from one job to another are deductable. If the employee goes home between jobs, the deduction is based on the distance between jobs."

7. eazy

eazy LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Thanks for that information MacLawnCo and everyone else's information.

Thanks for everyones input,
    eazy

8. missytheaccountant

missytheaccountant LawnSite Member
    from Bama

You do get a mileage deduction for your second job. You can deduct mileage from your first job to your second but only those miles. I know the rate for 2003 was .36 per mile but I don't have the rate for 2004 right handy. You might want to consider actual costs as well (depreciation, insurance, gas/oil, repairs, etc); however, mileage is usually the best.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Stop just after you leave in the morning at the gas station for fuel, or the bank for a deposit. Then the miles can start from there.

10. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

When in doubt, write it off. You can always give it back later.