Mileage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GemSon Lawn, Mar 25, 2006.

1. GemSon Lawn

GemSon Lawn LawnSite Member

Does anyone charge mileage, when you have to go way out of your way to service an account? And by (way out of the way) I mean 70 miles? I have never been asked to do anything like this before Friday.

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

If it is that far away there must be something you are doing right for them to want you, so I would build the mileage into the bid.

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Mileage or not, I wouldn't service a client that far away.

4. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would mot drive 70 miles unless it was very profitable. Either tell them you don't go that far out or sub it out to someone reputable in the area. I have a contract with a national chain that has a location 45 miles from my office and I even sub that one out and still make money on the deal.

5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't charge mileage. For landscaping projects we charge hourly, starting when we leave the shop until we get back.

Mowing is different. That is just built into their per cut price with the time from the last account until the next account.

6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

70 miles out means 140 miles round trip. The IRS allows you to take a $67 dollar deduction for this, so you know it will COST you AT LEAST that much to make the trip. There is more to operating a vehicle than just gas, you know! Add in a couple hours of your time for driving, and your up to over $100!!!

Yep, you'd better charge for it or you'll be losing money on this deal.

7. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I would charge the same amount for driving that I am regularly worth while mowing.

If you are usually worth $40 per hour while mowing, then you should tack on an extra $80 on to the bill each time you service the account.

8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Assuming 70 miles ONE-WAY.....you'd better be there ALL DAY and making $1000...at least! Here is why....

mileage write off is .369 per mile x 140 = $51.66
    I assume you'd pull a trailer... .10 x 140 = $14.00
    gas....14 gallons at $2.50 per... = $35.00
    Travel TIME...2 hours x # workers (1 @ $35/hr) = $70.00

You've got $171 tied up in getting there and getting back.....see why I said ALL DAY and $1000!!!!!!!!

Also, how much could you make doing jobs "in your area" in those 2 hours??? OPPORTUNITY COST!!!!!!

Unless you are making a TON (likely not), kindly turn them down. If they inquire you can show them the numbers how much it costs you to show up to this job!

Mike

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Exactly what service will you providing 70 miles away? When I first started I had an account 30 minutes one way, mowed for an hour and 30 minutes to come back. It paid $50. I dropped it after the first season.

10. GemSon Lawn

GemSon Lawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the imput....I appreciate it. I'll have to wait until Mon, I told him that I would meet with him and see exactly what he is offering, I just have never been asked anything like that.......it caught me off guard. At first I thought he was jokin. I do know that there are 6 or 7 pieces of property in this 70 mile trip that he wants mowed, so on one hand that breaks it up...but on the other hand that is 6 or 7 times of dropping the gate, loadin and unloadin the trailer, and the mileage, the wages, tires, and wear and tear on truck ,trailer and me. I'll post later when I have all the information, thought I would know something today, but it's going to be Monday.:dizzy: