Miles Per Gallon

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by xtremelawn, Feb 27, 2008.

1. xtremelawn

xtremelawn LawnSite Member
    from USA

I was just wondering what kind of gas mileage you guys are getting while pulling your lawn trailer? What are you driving? And what are people doing to save on gas? My gas mileage while pulling my trailer is killing me.:cry::cry::cry:

Thanks

2. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I get 10-12 pulling my 20' enclosed with 2 walkers and all the other goods in town. I pull with a '05 dodge 3500 4wd diesel. Same set up with a 454 gas Chevy I was getting 5. I bought the diesel to save on some fuel and it has. The enclosed is a heavy duty trailer by the way.

3. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My Dodge Cummins, 2wd automatic, averages 18mpg during the busy months when I'm towing the trailer more often. That figure includes personal local driving as well. I figure it probably gets about 16-17 while towing, 19-20 while cruising. I need all the mileage I can get with diesel creeping up to and past $3.50 at some gas stations. I really want a biodiesel distiller!
    By the way, this is towing a 6.5x16" tandem open trailer with everything in my signature.

4. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

05 dodge ram gas motor, getting about 8-9 pulling my trailor.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I run 2006 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4, pulling an all aluminum V-nose 24' enclosed featherlite trailer.

I haul a 48" Ferris DD wb, a 60" Kubota ZD28, a 72" Kubota ZD331, Permagreen Magnum, fuel, multiple trimmers and other needed hand held tools.

I get around 11-13, sometimes a little more, not too often less. If I keep my foot out of the accelerator, I can do much better. If I coast to the stop lights, take 3 miles to get up to 55 and then set the cruise, I can keep it up around 18 mpg pulling the same load.

If I blast out of the stop light and run down the freeway 75-80, then it's dropping down to the 11 mark.

We too had a Dodge 2500 with the 360 in it. Pulling the same trailer we were getting about 5-6.

With no trailer in the same diesel, we can push 23, 24 mpg if we keep the foot out of the accelerator.

6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i get about 9-10 with f250 pulling 20ft enclosed trailer

7. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Check into Amsoil synthetic oils. Most everyone has a increase in mpg. Avg is 1-2mpg, slightly higher when changing tranny fluid over as well. Amsoil ATF runs up to 50 degrees cooler that conventional ATF. This helps dramatically w/ life of tranny also.

8. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

2005 f250 6.0 ps 4x4 pulling a 20 ft open heavy trailer total weight about 8,000lbs i get about 8-9 mpg but i'm on it a lot and it's programmed to. i'd like to be able to get atleast 12 even to where i've been looking into a dodge cummins but i love my ford.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

This post reminded me. I too run Amsoil in EVERYTHING, change my oil every 10k miles, my tranny once / year.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

D-2500 SLT Laramie club cab long bed, 4000 lbs. curb weight.
    Add the trailer and some equipment, 7,000 pounds.
    5.9L V8 Magnum engine, 4 speed AOD.

What's been done:
    High performance Mr. Gasket Air filter.
    High performance Taylor 10.2mm spark plug wires.
    Autolite double platinum plugs.
    High performance cap and rotor.
    High performance breather cap.
    Replaced 02 sensor.
    Mallory high performance ignition coil.
    Oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles, synthetic.
    Trans fluid and filter ever 10,000 miles, DYI, takes Dex-IV.
    Tires inflated to max.psi. sidewall rating.
    Tonneau cover for increased aerodynamics (also keeps eqp't out of weather).
    Grease wheel bearings every 24,000 miles.
    Replace PCV valve and fuel filter about that time as well.

Carry ONLY equipment absolutely needed for the day, on grass cutting days most of the time 1 mower is all.
    Nope, don't even carry fuel cans onboard.

11mpg loaded, and that's with a light foot on the pedals (yes easy on the brakes too).
    It definitely varies from one to the next, I used to get 14 in my older D-250.