miles per gallon

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by musselman, Jul 10, 2008.

1. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I have a 2003 1 ton dually duramax king cab with a 10 foot flatbed. I pull a 12,000 lbs. rated trailor 18 foot dual axle. In the trailor I have 1 or 2 60 inch hustlers one is a cat diesel. (I always have 1 on the trailor and 2 on when we do large school grounds) a walker, and a 32 inch exmark viking walk behind and various trimmers and edgers, blowers ect. about half the time I full of grass clippings on the truck. I havent checked my milage for awhile and this week I kept track Im getting 14 MPG. Is this about right? I thought I was doing better than that when I first got the truck...but I cant remember if I checked with a load or empty. Anyways just wanted to see if Im in the ball park or If I need to do something to get better. Thanks

2. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

im doing good if i can get 10 out of my older Cummins.

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

When I'm loaded for spraying in the bed, have the mowing trailer, and running my A/C - I get a wallet-bleeding 7mpg.

4. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

On my last fill up - pulling 16 tandum, Hustler Z, Quick 36, couple trimmers, blower, etc. and some stuff in the bed - 22 gal fills it, got 196 miles for a total of 8.9 mpg. Checking on this tank too.

Seems like I was getting closer to 250 miles the last time I checked, over a year ago.

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

That sounds about right for all the "stuff" your towing. You could find a scale to get your real weight, and then you can better judge your MPG vs weight hauled.

6. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I have an 04 Duramax with the Edge chip and am getting only 14 around town pulling a 16 foot trailer with 2 mowers. I would say that you are doing well. Does your truck have a programmer?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That sounds a bit on the high side unless it's a diesel ...
    Or maybe if you have LRR tires, possibly on a one ton you do, still sounds kind of high thou.

8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a big help if you read the post, unless you don't realize a Duramax is a diesel... :)

Musselman, I think the only problem you have is that you can do math and tell the truth. 14 mpg sounds about right for a load. If you want to improve your mileage, the easiest and most common way is to just LIE about it!:laugh:

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

thats real good for all that crap your towin! Thats about what i get towin with my single wheel.

10. ACE

ACE LawnSite Member

I have 92 Dodge diesel 250. Use to get 16 to 17 with 16' trailer with equipment. Now Im getting 15 even. Think I need work on engine. I parked the box truck diesel because of higher insurance and 10 MPG. I hate using the trailer and have thought about telling every oe to start coughing up more money.