Miles walked

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by specialtylc, May 25, 2004.

1. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Last wednesday I had 2 of my employees wear a stepometer to see how far they walked each day. The push mower guys thought they were walking farther than the trimmer guy. Well it was pretty even. The mower guys covered about 17.5 mile and the trimmer guy covered 16.75 miles. Either way thats alot of walking. :eek: Has anyone else done a check like this?

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, I would have never guessed it was that much. Pretty impressive. Maybe thats why I stay thin during cutting season!

3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

a stepometer? never heard of that, is it accurate? or a guesstimate?

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I’m only guessing they’re the same thing these days, but dad has an old stepometer and it’s basically a thing about the size of a 12’ tape measure that you clip on your belt and each jolt similar to a step will make it add another number to a little thing similar to an old analog odometer on a car, and you have a little paper that tells how many miles the numbers equal (has a chart to match up your stride length with the numbers on the stepometer). Kinda cool. Doesn’t seem like it would be terribly accurate but I’ve never used it really. Would give you a good idea of what you’re doing. The newer ones may be totally different and more accurate I do not know.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is actually kind of cool to know the miles walked

6. fga

I'm just saying, some people have alot longer legs than others.. I have a friend, who if we walked at the same pace, and took the same steps, he'd lap me and my stumpy legs several times...:eek:

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I know, but what I’m saying is, you measure your stride and then you look at a chart that tells what the numbers on the dial convert to in miles according to your stride length. That allows for short legs or long legs.

8. fga

oh.... so it's short legged friendly?

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The new fangled ones are adjustable for lenght of step and automatically convert to miles walked. They are giving them away at Mcdonalds in the adult happy meals. I think they are fairly accurate. You figure a push mower at top speed is 4 mph. And they were working steady for 8.5 hours.

10. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I measured by the speed of my mower times the hours mowed to get my answer. It is a really rough estimate because of corners and such but I came to about 175 km per week, mowing only. Everything else was extra.