1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Milk Crate Filter?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by drsogr, Feb 2, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't normally see the small upper pond because people are uncreative. There doesn't need to be an upper pond at all. It is used to make it look more natural. IMO the biofalls look cheasy.

Not that milkcrates don't!
  2. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

HAHAHA well forget the dodge ram and all the rims. If I had extra money I would have bought the Dodge Mega Cab!!! That truck is a king kong, lol. I heard there coming out with a dually mega cab, not thats what im sayin.
    My truck aint no lil dakota it can pull an enclosed trailer

3. drsogr

Ya know I am just giving ya crap. Nice Dakota. I used to own a 2001 dakota. It was a good truck. By dad used to own a 2000 quad cab. I was amazed by how much cab room it had. I am 6'3 and was comfotable in the back seat in an 8 hour drive.
  4. fishinman22487

Aquascapes has there head on straight, for sure with large scale projects!!!!!!!
    Back in October we did a $30,000 job at a retention pond with 2 wet wells and a bog, we used three pumps and about 50 tons of gravel to cover the bottom of the pond to help keep it clear.. also we used an air station in the middle... It was the best project we did, everything went smoothly and finished it in a week.
    Here are som pics!!!

1of3 loads of gravel.JPG

some of our equipment we rented.JPG

5. drsogr

Wow that looks like a pretty large scale project. I wouldn't even think about doing a project that big!
  6. dmcoburn

dmcoburn LawnSite Member

:cool: Did you do the wall system too? Looks like a pretty cool project.

Here are a couple of pics of a waterfall we did last spring along with a couple of patios and lots of big steps, plants, etc. Used three pumps to acheive flow we needed for the 25' elevation drop on the falls. The waterfall was about 100' long and we had to use two 3" pipes to supply it. we couldn't do any diging because it is all on ledge. cost about 110,000 in VT. A good deal I think since I would expect some of the other guys in the area would have easily doubled the price.

dimson,etc 153.jpg
  7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

how much water do you loose to splashing
  8. dmcoburn

dmcoburn LawnSite Member

not much splash when the wind is average, I just tweaked them to stay where they needed to be, but because there is so much drop on so many sections there is a lot of evaporation. There were definately lots of challenges on this one. This system is near the borderline of when the falls are too big to be supplied by the lower pond volume wise because we were so confined for space in the lower pond with the shape of the ledge. The lower pond sits right in a natural depression in the ledge that runs about 18"-24" deep, 4-6' wide, and 50' long. My math isn't the best, but I figure its about 4000 gal, I'm going to put the meter on it after we clean it out again this spring to get a good reading.
  9. drsogr

Wow that is some nice stuff. That is some work you can be proud of!
  10. fishinman22487

Awesome work you've done. I like the second picture the best, its a good angle.
    Did you make that bridge or buy a kit and put it together?

No, someone else installed the retaining wall around the retention pond.