1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

milky cream in my oil??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Shady Brook, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Anyone know why I would have a thick white milky cream in my oil filler tube on my 22 liquid cooled Kaw/ Turf Tiger? I had noticed a bit of residue in the past, but there is a boat load now? What's up with that? I have heard that oil can foam in my Diesels, but this seems odd to say the least.

2. mud_man93

mud_man93 LawnSite Member

i think that it might be moisture.
  3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: moisture,moisture, change oil and filter.
  4. Greenie

Greenie LawnSite Member

I would suggest running it to get it hot - not just warm, then change the oil and filter. The moisture is getting in and never is boiled out by the engine getting hot. Short and infrequent use will cause the moisture to remain in the engine.
  5. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed the same thing with the welder engine on "my" work truck (Continental F163 gas)

As the old saying goes "oil & water don't mix", that milky residue is the moisture the others have mentioned, and it is probably getting in there simply as a result of condensation (cold engine startup, gets warm, shut it down, cools off.........)

Some days the welding machine works hard the entire day - like last week with a lot of arc-air and heavy welding - so stays good and hot. Other days it spends a lot of time at idle "standing by" to provide power or a tack weld when needed so never really gets fully warmed up.
  6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Real ticket is watch the drain oil or all the oil on the stick. If drain oil is that consistency your getting cooling water into the oil. I've also seen creamy, oily coolant becasue oil pressure in a pressurized passage is higher than water pressure in th cooling system.

Frequently a bad head gasket or cracked heas will lead to these conditions.
  7. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Thanks for all the super posts. Actually the oil was just changed, but I have been having frequent starts and stops, so that makes perfect sense. I will change her out, and hope for the best.

Take care, and thanks
  8. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

It's probably mositure, but check the coolant. If you're loosing that also, you could have either a bad gasket or a damaged block or head.
  9. cosmo

cosmo LawnSite Member

If you are seeing the same substance on the dip stick or when you change the oil. Sounds like you are getting coolant in to the oil. If that is the case, More then likely it's a head gasket or cracked head. Usually the oil will look like chocolate milk.

Good Luck
    Thanks Cosmo
  10. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Here is an update for anyone who may come across a similar situation.

Not sure what the mily fluid was for sure, but I was having elevated oil levels. Mechanics could not ascertain what it was, fuel or coolant. Did not burn so they suspected coolant. Finally someone noticed that not much air was coming out of the muffler. The muffler was starting to break up, and apparently it was nearly blocked. The theory is the backpressure forced coolant through the valves. Apparently it is not a head gaskett, but we shall see. Maybe someone will have the same problem someday, I sure hope not.