Milky spore grub control

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Landude

Landude LawnSite Member

I have been using it for a few years. While it does work it's no match for
    the grub problem this year. If you're goal is to knock them out now it won't do it..

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Landude is right. Milky spore's goal is to 'spread plaugue' throughout the white grub population to wipe it out. Unfortunately, because, as you probably know, grubs change into beetles and back a couple times a year, it's just plain LUCK if any beetles come back and happen to drop any eggs in the area of turf where you spread your 'plaugue' of milky spore! And you're damned if you kill them all, too! Because that lessens the chance that the plaugue will be spread! But I DO KNOW some people who have bluegrass turf and use it and SWEAR by it. They just have to re-apply it occasionally.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Milky spore is only for organic type tree huggers who are purests. Milky spore is KILLED the second you apply a herbicide or insecticide so if you do use weed control most likely your spores are dead and not protecting your lawn

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Oh, you're just feeling like a toot in the elevator today, aren't you eshskis?

6. Stillwater

ya, I don't know why I go off like that.... someone asked me yesterday if I was ok I just looked at them and said hu? what?

7. Stillwater

If you see small grubs close to the surface that means they are hatching and on their way down to grow to adult size this is called pre-pupation so irregardless of the time of the season if you discover small grubs within 1.5 inches of the thatch layer apply a strong dose of fast acting grub control like Bayer Dylox and then water in with at least 1/2 to 1 inch of water if you have a thick thatch layer water a little more.

Milky although a great product for some people it will not help you right now your lawn could be consumed before it is integrated.

in April/may apply another dose of Dylox and water in.

A Grid pattern application of milky takes a long time to grow out and become effective. The cheapest place I have seen milky is Walmart in MA. I was shocked at how cheap they were selling it. I like milky but I am not a organic grass man, I have absolutely no patients for organic lawn care. My customers don't either.

8. NJLAWN#1

NJLAWN#1 LawnSite Member

Milky spore is only effective against japanese beetle grub, in our area the are becoming less common then they used to be.

9. Stillwater

I did not know that..... thats good to know

10. Landude

Landude LawnSite Member

Well here in my area it's the Japanese beetle's and their offspring that's ripping the hell out of everything.
    Eshskis.... what side of the fence are you on? Either it works or it doesn't ...
    And is it really KILLED the second you apply a herbicide or insecticide?
    I'm so confused.. :dizzy: