milky spore vs. nematodes

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by greenguy08, May 27, 2008.

1. greenguy08

greenguy08 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Would any of you use nematodes instead of milky spore for grubs(especially for japanese beetle grubs)? I have a new customer that had someone else apply nematodes this spring. Their whole neighborhood has a major japanese beetle problem. I was going to try to convince the neighbors and my customer to use milky spore due to its long- term effectiveness.

2. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

milky spore takes about 2 years to establish itself but in the mean time you can use nematodes but they should be applied when the soil is warm enough for them to survive.

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

me , i would use both and some arbor-jet inject-ables, yes its not organic but its biologically based and has a real prov-en track record. Pete Wild is a tree god!!!

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I need to save this thread, Treegal not organic? What is this?

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

not organic, yes we do some chems, mostly as a last resort, like chemo therapy, you as* had better be dieing to get a shot. and an injection is as eco friendly as we can get. no over spray no waste and it all gets into the tree!!! plus most of the chems we like are bio based.basically bacterium $h*t in a jug.

I am sure that there are many of my posts that have been saved, for what there worth.

6. DeepGreenLawn

lol, I just thought was funny coming from the person who came up with the best organic selective herbicides.

Of course, being a hybrid company, I definitely agree that traditional chems have their place. They may belong in just a very few places but they do have their place.

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

And if you think about what everyone is calling traditional chems is not really, we no longer use clordane or DDT.

When we are using these new chemical mixes what are the long term effects? is it like Vioxx? it works really great but it kills some people. It works really great but has an effect on Bee's or frogs?

These are the things we have to balance, I believe it starts with education and ends with continuing education

I'm not saying its wrong or right I am just saying the information that we have about a practice, the better off we are. They figured out DDT was not a good idea especially for birds, we were told that misquitoes would take over the world if the chemical was banned. Well that was 1972 and we're still here, so are misquitoes.

Lets keep our minds open and ready for traditionals or alternatives, lets just make them informed decisions

8. DeepGreenLawn

this stuff is like computers, always changing, never can stop learning.

Guess it just makes it more interesting.