Milky Spore

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by White Gardens, May 9, 2009.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

The PROBLEM with seven is that there is a residue that kills most things that come in contact with it and then carry the residue back to the hive, that can kill off bee hives

2. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Bill, from your experience, how long have you found Sevin to stick around? just a question, I am very sure of the answer already but wanted to get an organic point of view.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

If it does not rain for 3 or 4 weeks, my answer would be 3 or 4 weeks. You would actually need to call the manufactuer and ask them. It is not something I would every consider using........EVER

It kills bee's are you nuts !!! or should I say it kills the pollentators that give us nuts and berries, I do believe that is the final answer

Not a great idea..........unless you can figure out another food source

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I just want to state, that I'm very selective about what I spray with seven. The only two items I spray in the garden is my corn (they eat the silks) and the pole beans (they shred the leaves). Otherwise everything else seems to be safe.

I never used any insecticides in my landscapes until the JB came along.

I have Hollyhocks, crab apples, apple trees, etc... that I let the beetles destroy knowing that there are honey bees visiting them. I don't condone over-use of chemicals, and I tell my customers the same thing.

I'm also sketchy about Merit on trees and shrubs. Yes, it does help to save trees from the beetles, but I don't know what affect Merit has on pollinators so I don't condone the use.

Farmers around here are now going back to crop-dusting insecticides, and no way will I let myself get to that level of eradication just to save a few ornamentals.

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a little research on this and from what I've found (mostly from European countries that have banned Merit) is that Merit doesn't necessarily kill the bees, but dis-orients them and they can't find their way back to the hive. Which will probably kill them eventually....