1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Milky Spore

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Pilgrims' Pride, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I have never been a fan of milky spore as I've never seen results.
    I believe this is because the weater here in New England isn't condusive to growing spore populations.
    However, I have a customer who has asked for it and I figured maybe something has changed.
    Does anyone else have any real life experience?
    Good or bad?
  2. pema

pema LawnSite Member

This may qualify for the Organic Forum,,,, but anyway, I've used it with success in my area. Keep in mind: Milky Spore ONLY controls the Japanese Beetle grub. Results are Slow to realize and may require a synthetic control to knock down any current populations that exceed threshold limits.

Not sure how well it would work as a preventative. Seems to me that grubs need to be present in order for the spores to feed and multiply.
  3. ns400r

ns400r LawnSite Member

If this is true, then you can assume its pretty useless, we all know how ineffective Mach2 is because it has problems with one variety of grubs, can you imagine a product that only controls jap beetles?