Millcreek Aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodfather, Nov 13, 2002.

1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Was wondering if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with Millcreek Aerators. This company has front-mounted types. I am considering removing the mower deck off of one of my Toro Groundsmasters and attaching a 60" aerator.

Price with installation will be right around $2000. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
  2. Rodpop's Make sure you get one with the springs on the spoons, will keep from pulling up any sod damaged by grubs.

They make a good unit.

I beleive the spoons are the same as Classens and Ryans.
  3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that price for a new unit?? That sounds like a really good deal.
  4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a well used Ryan 6' at a sale for Can $190.00 Take the winter and look for a use one then make your own brackets to fit your machine.
  5. mlc

mlc LawnSite Member

I have a 60" Millcreek aerator mounted on the 3 pt hitch of a Kubota tractor (B1750). I've been thinking seriously of selling it and purchasing an aeravator attatchment-AE40-L. The Millcreek is basically a decent unit but not for my application. I do mainly residential properties with it and find the unit too large. The unit is designed to work with speed; the faster you pull it, the better plug it pulls. It would work great on wide open spaces such as sports fields. When I use it on residentials, I cannot safely go that fast and the tines line up causing the unit to bounce and not remove a good core. Each row of tines on the Millcreek are able to rotate independantly of each other- as soon as I go slow they all line up which I don't like. This year the ground was to dry and the Millcreek unit didn't get to much use. I ended up using a Ryan lawnaire 4 which pulls a decent plug but is so slow. Basically to answer you question - Millcreek aerators are decent units if you have large areas to use them. Hope this helps.

Aside from the original question for Aeravator owners:
    Does the First Product Aeravators work well to prepare dead turf areas that where a result of grub damage for reseeding? Reseeding lawns with thick thatch? Thank you.
  6. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I tried the Millcreek on my Walker with all the weights on the unit and about 200+ lbs in the hopper. It did a very poor job. I tried it several times on different lawns, another LCO tried it and had the same results. It would poke the holes but it just didn't leave very many plugs. I had brand new spoon tines. The lawns just never "looked" aerated.

Thankfully my dealer took it back on trade for a new deck.

This feb. I get my perfaerator (Walkers' aerator) It is camshaft driven and does the job it is supposed to do.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I bought a used Millcreek to fit on my Walker this year. With 200# of weight on the aerator and 100 # in the Walkers hopper, it did a good job on real soft ground. On any ground that was the least bit firm-hard, the unit did not work worth a darn. I will probably look for some other type of aerator next year.:(
  8. I built push arms for mine. But on the 325, to remove or install push arms, you begin by removing the floor of the unit and the brake pedals. It took me half a day to remove or install the unit.

After mounting, it couldn't turn without tearing out the holes a little because of the way the Toro steers. Plus the stock lift cyiinder is a little light for the aerator with any weight added.

I've never even seen the commercially made mount. but unless it has some kind of spring loading or articulation, they'll have the same problems.

I made my own push arms. They're heavy enough, even have grease fittings. You can have 'em if you pay shipping. They work, just not that great.

The aerator works better pulled than pushed. It takes advantage of the spoon wheels being mounted in pairs. You get less tearing on turns.
    A three point hitch still makes the aerator difficult to turn while the tines are in the ground also. (I borrowed the one the city has once) It's just not as bad as when it's being pushed. When it's pushed it wants to go in the opposite direction of the way you're steering it. So I made a hitch that turns.
    It's on this thread on page #2:
    Aerator finally useable ( 1 2 ) 1grnlwn

The ground does need to be soft when using a core aerator. But that's when I aerate, spring and fall. An aeravator wouldn't do me any good. For an aeravator the ground needs to be solid so it can bust it apart. For me it would be just stirring the mud.

That's all I can think of. But I'll try to answer anything you'd want to ask.

toro millcreek.jpg
  9. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

hey currier....was that Delta Implement (cant spell). Im in Monticello utah and they are the closest Walker dealer to me.....I think he tried to sell me your old Millcreek....I was thinking about it glad I dint. did you get a hooker? and what is the price tag on the perfarator going to be?
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Dave...I guess I gotta think about this, huh? What you said made sense with some things I hadn't thought of.