Miller Lite and Tobacco Spit

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 7mtnsod, Feb 19, 2005.

1. 7mtnsod

7mtnsod LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever sprayed beer,tobacco juice, soda, epsom salts, ect. on turf?

Very cheap way to get beautiful turf. The secret is feeding the soil (microbes) These products contain alot of what companies sell you for $40 gallon. Sugars, enzymes, carbohydrates, yeasts to name a few.

Now everyone knew there had to be a reason they still made Piels or Schlitz!

Just curious???????????

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Just Curious

You need to post this witchcraft in the Orgasmic Forum section on Lawnsite with all the other wives tales. This Jerry Baker tonic, Besides being Illegal to apply on lawns by EPA laws, is not very cost effective. True, Tobacco was one of the first pesticide known to man and there are still many pesticides with AI that contain nicotine. However they are mostly interior pesticides that are used in structural pest control. The EPA strictly bans the use of them on the exterior due to environmental concerns.

BTW Feeding Microbes, Means feeding both beneficial, non-beneficial and detrimentals. Proper feeding of Microbes is Complex Carbohydrates, Not simple sugars. True that microbes are every where and the environment selects which group will have the largest population. However this environment is ever changing and introduction of foreign substances can and will severely effect that environment.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea ric, i was just gonna say that

4. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

Never mind that...it is an absolute sacrilege not to drink the beer. ;) I'm surprised that no one has told you that yet.

5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Yeah, what he said :D ... quite watching so much cable t.v.

6. 7mtnsod

7mtnsod LawnSite Member

Each his own I guess...Thanks.

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I've never used beer or tobacco juiice myself, but organics are certainly not "wives tales" I've used them and they do work. Just a different approach to lawn care that many dinosaurs, still steeped in the "just nuke 'em" mentality, can't seem to accept. The idea is to feed the soil, which then feeds the plant. Not just put down to much N and then mow repeatedly.

8. 7mtnsod

7mtnsod LawnSite Member

Amen...finally....but I think we are in the wrong room it seems.

Feeding the soil is twice as important as feeding the plant. Chemical companies have brainwashed people to think differently.

By no means am I a tree-hugger or vegan, but I have grown enough grass in my short ten years at golf courses, lawns and sod farms to see the effects of mismanaged soil. But like I said in my last post...to each his own.

And one side note on Jerry Baker......He might be viewed as the fraud of turf management, but I just wish I could be as sucessful and rich as that guy. All he did was make lawncare a little easier for the avg. person to relate to.

And as far as university data proving these theories wrong..of course they will because its the big boys funding the research.

Anyway...gotta go my lesco saleman is here to sell me some their new snake oil.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

7mtnsod

I am not against organics, I am against witchcraft. Organic programs have value. Particularly here in Florida with our Calcareous Sandy Soil. But Tobacco Juice and 7Up are not a scientific approach to Agronomy. Go post that dreck in the orgasmic forum at this site. You will find a lot of misinformation there.

10. 7mtnsod

7mtnsod LawnSite Member

Like I said earlier...each his own. What you said makes no sense...do you know what organic means? You think organic means its just compost? Is 7 up an organic material? You have no problem with organic right? Which side of the fence are you on?

I will switch forums on this subject....but I have gotten what I intended to find out....

which is people bashing this post, but with little or no intelligent response and nothing to back up their tough guy approach...does anyone out there have any factual knowledge why organic is bullsh*t?

I mean the "orgasmic" thing is old...everybody is saying it.