Million Dollar Neighborhood Pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frank2, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

Pricing a lawn in a million dollar neighborhood for weekly maintenance. (Mowing, trimming, edging, blowing, weed control in beds) Property will take about 1hr15minutes...1hr30minutes.
    They are currently unsatisfied w/ the landscaper caring for it now. Have price in my head...want to see what some of you think. What really like to get it...don't want to underbid just to get it or price myself out of it.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

They didnt become millionaires by giving it away
  3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

what equipment is required for the lawn...21" or 60" or what?
  4. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Somewhere around $70.00 - $90.00 per service. Keeping the weeds down in spring/early summer will definately take longer. What about clippings?

There is always "site specific" things to consider (terrain, access, drive time, hedges, and the list goes on...).
  5. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

-mowers used...60" lazer and 36"on small back yard(fenced)

-no clippings...not bagging.
  6. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

I'd go in with a heavy hand and sell, sell, sell.
  7. Dchall_San_Antonio

Dchall_San_Antonio LawnSite Senior Member

I live in one of those neighborhoods. Maybe I can offer some of my observations.

These people are image conscious. If you pull up in a 15 year old truck with no sign and dirty equipment, you still have a chance but they like to see their help driving nicer rigs. They don't have to be new, but don't ever leave an oil spill in the street with your old clunker. Uniforms are a nice addition to a corporate look on their lawns.

My next door neighbor was an investment banker. His house looked like a museum inside. His lawn service came every Wednesday for 4 years. They came with a crew of 3 at 8am, 52 weeks a year for 30 minutes to mow, edge, and blow a 40x40 plot of over watered St Augustine with 10x40 of flowers. Never mind that the grass didn't grow for about 30 of those weeks. These guys were the most regular thing since the full moon. I suspect they charged $30-$50. When it rained, which was seldom, they sent someone by to discuss it with the owner. They've moved now, and we never were very close after "the broken sprinkler incident" that took him 5 months to get around to fixing (I'm downhill from him), so I'm not likely to get more info about any of that.

My new neighbor across the street has a different situation. They're leasing for $36,000/year, so they're in a similar cash category as my former next door neighbor. These people are different, though because they seem to have personal relationships with their help. The lawn guy comes on Tuesdays and Fridays and stays all day from about 8am to about 5pm. He is alone, and they have about a full third of an acre with turf and trees on a corner lot with a wall (tons of edging). He does everything including all the plumbing and mechanical repairs in the garden, but when it looks like he might not have much to do, the lady sends him out to get plants to plant somewhere. Although the lawn guy doesn't speak much English, I'm sure they do much for him and his family at the Holidays. I suspect they pay this guy about $200 per week, but it could easily be twice that. I realize this seems low considering all the hours, but again, this is 52 week per year work and I think the guy is very lucky to have the gig. Besides, remember they are renting, so this isn't even their property they're paying for. They just want things to look VERY nice all the time.

Some of my neighbors will not balk at any rational price quote. They're more interested in professionalism with their service providers. These people make from $50,000 to $300,000 per month and will pay any minute fraction of that to others to help them out. They'll sit in the dark overnight waiting for a licensed electrician to come change a burned out light bulb (I'm not joking). The difference between you charging $60/hour or $100/hour is totally invisible to them as long as you do excellent work. Others, still, are extremely cash cautious. As someone else mentioned, they didn't get there by giving it away.

So my observations can be summarized as this: Do not be afraid to charge what you need to get; try to be extremely punctual; do what they want you to do; and if it rains; drop by personally to explain that you won't be doing the job today but will at the earliest convenience.
  8. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Dchall, your so right.
    Most of my cust live in 600k and up homes and they want professonal, prompt, and reliable service that even includes bringing the trash cans and newspaper up to the house. We are getting in the 80-100 an hour range on these props and one at $120 an hour...but your work has to be perfect...PERFECT PERFECT!!! They do nothing, we even clean the pool!

I would shoot for $100 a hour due to the level of detail work your getting into.
    Good luck
  9. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

Its great to have some perspective from "the other side" Dchall. Thanks for contributing.
  10. I don’t have any prejudices towards rich people. It doesn’t matter how they got their money, though hopefully it was legal AND honest. My only outlook on well-to-do neighborhoods is that they are more likely to afford my profitable prices. I always try to charge as much as the market will bear and the properties end up looking the same, no matter what side of town they’re on.