Millions of bees dead due to pesticides

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by recycledsole, Jul 6, 2013.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

2. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

that doesn't sound like good news. I was mowing this week thinking to myself "I haven't seen a grasshopper in years". When I was a kid we'd catch them by the hundreds and freeze them for our pet turtles. I couldn't say when I saw one last. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places??

3. recycledsole

from MD

thanks moose
    yes each of us has to do our own part. that is why I do not use any pesticides or herbicides or fertilizers in my business. I still use gas which I wish I could find another way, but there is no need for all those chemicals.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I got 2 words ... Alternative pollinators
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Arvydas

Arvydas LawnSite Member

I manage all my properties organically, and they look better than most of the sprayed properties I see. In most cases I find pesticides to be a waste of money, if you know anything about horticulture and correcting soil deficiencies.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. recycledsole

from MD

Youre kidding right? You think that moths, butterflies, etc.. can take the place of bees?

7. recycledsole

from MD

hey arvyDas what prodcuts do you use? some of the lawns I took over are starting to get kind of weedy and im not going to use chemicals.
    thanks

8. idratherbefishing

idratherbefishing LawnSite Member

Nothing will be able to take the place of honey bees. Ironically they are not from the USA. They are from Europe. I have 6 bee hives. Pesticides are not good for the creatures but being in this business I offer the pesticide service but I also pay great attention to the timing of applications to make sure it is least likely to harm the beneficial insects. If your plants are flowering, then don't spray with a pesticide that says it's harmful to honey bees. I am not sure you can get rid of weeds in a lawn organically. I've never seen it done.