Millions of twigs and sticks.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thfireman, Apr 2, 2003.

1. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

One of my customers has about 15 trees that over the winter took a major beating from ice, snow and wind. The trees dropped millions of twigs and bunches of larger sticks. I have removed most of the large branches and sticks but I need to get all those twigs up. His lawn is about an acre total and it is way to large to rake and I have tried to vacuum it up. It ain't working.

Do any of you have a suggestion? Please help! Thanks.:confused: :dizzy:

2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

walker ghs and ear plugs. Have you tries blowing them into a pile

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

There's no easy way to do it. You may have to get a rake and use some elbo grease, or just plan on sharpenng your blades after you cut their lawn.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

JRCO front-mounted tine dethatcher.

5. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I tried blowing them but after the winter wet and cold most of them are stuck to the ground. I might have to try the front tine dethatcher idea.

I kinda like my lazy idea.....they will rot in time! LOL:D

Thanks for the input.

6. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

Rake it. I have several properties that size with 20 trees (mainly oak) and we rake them. On all my properties we spot rake where it needs it. You can always tell the lawn services that rake and the ones that don't get off their machines. Actually, that's how I get most of my new business.

7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Maybe I am getting lazier in my ripe ole age of 26, but as I have gotten better and better machines the word rake has become a bad four letter word. We now pretty much only use rakes to scoop up piles and such.

8. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I avoid picking up those kind of lawns. I hate sticks.

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, mechanilization(sp) is the way to go.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Jrco. The JRCO rake will plow them right up into rows, which then can be pused lengthwise, and right up onto a tarp with the right kind of mower.