Milorganite

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Its stinky II U, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Its stinky II U

Its stinky II U LawnSite Member
    from Bama

What are the pros and cons of using milorganite for lawn
    applications. I've heard it smells bad but I don't detect any
    offensive oders when I smell it. Please advise!

2. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I use a great deal of it. I have pros and cons for it. I think the pros outweight the cons. Many feel otherwise.

Pros:
    It will give you long lasting deep green color. I provides a lot of micros nutrients and organics that enhance the soil profile. This alone is a huge boost. I have lawns that I have done for 50 years that have never been power raked, never been arerated that the thatch layer is a consistent .25 to .5 inch. These lawns are intensivly managed, not just Milorganite is used but a substansial portion is that.

Cons:
    It is very bulky, you have to use a lot of it. I use 20lbs/1000. In some instances I will go as high as 40lbs.1000. I used 100 tons a year for the last 25 years. It is work to put on. The smell issue is only when it gets watered the first time, after that it is a few days of smell then gone. The smell is "earthy".

There are many posts on it:

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?...id=52595&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

hope this helps
    mike

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Stinky

You must of gotten that name from people who know you. Milroganite does have a bad smell to most people. Milroganite is human waste from Mil.Wis. Sludge from our waste water treatment plant is purchased by all of the sod growers in my area. However there is a long long post on organic fertilizer that is worth reading. Use the search feature in the upper right hand corner and you can find it. I feel sludge type fertilizers are good. In many parts of the world farmer use human waste to grow vegtables. Many years ago when I was in Asia I noticed that vegtables had a different taste then I learned why. Guess I shouldn't of told that story.

4. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

Sludge for ornamentals.....not consumption!!!
    Keep it out of the garden...there is not much research on plant uptake of metals.....wear your PPE or you'll look like this::alien:

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

GroundsGuy

At one time milorganite had heavy metals. Today it has been cleaned up. But I will still agree with you about keeping it out of gardens. Plants are what they eat therefore unless your from Asia or someother part of the world that uses human sludge for fertilizer. You will not like the taste of your labors.

6. Morturf I can see where this product can work for you.

You must get a healthy discount for buying a trailer load at one time. And your transportation costs are only about 50 cents a bag.

But since you have a forklift and 5-ton flatbed truck YOU can make it work.

Even with the stone-a-green spreader it's a lot of material to handle and spread vs. high N synthetic over wide areas.

7. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

i can buy this stuff at the local nursury for $5 bucks a bag per ton does that seem like a deal. i've used ringer lawn restore in the past but man is it expensive.

8. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

How about Hou-Actnite?

9. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Houactinite is the same product -- different city. Plants that were built by same company and are essentially identical.

Hoactinite may have a spicier flavor :)

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Jeff

What ever made you post to 2 1/2 year old thread?? However I will say that I have Quoted Old Stones comment about the five ton Flat bed and fork lift many times.:D