1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mimi rotors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Precision, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I am in the market for some mini rotors. I really dislike using pop ups in some applications and feel that a mini rotor would be a great thing instead.

Also many clients have zones with PGP (or clone) rotors mixed in with pop-ups on the same zone and I feel that switching them out to mini-rotors will reduce the problems associated with having pop-ups and rotors on the same zone.

1. am I correct that swapping out pop-ups for mini rotors on a zone that has both pop-ups and standard rotors will increase performance on the standard rotors? I know it will not be a perfect fix, but redoing the entire system usually isn't an option.

2. I am looking mainly at the Hunter PGJ mini, but I have heard some people claim that they are not built to the quality of the PGP.

3. Lastly, one of my suppliers is phasing out the PGP and replacing it with the K-rain Pro Plus. He claims it is better in all aspects, seals, gears and it has the head that won't bust if you spin it against the gears. Is this true or just salesmanship?
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

None of the mini rotors are as durable as the standrads. They also tend to fail more often - Hunter PGJ, and RB 3500.

Really couldn't say anything about the K Rain, I've only seen a handful of them. I don't like the water distribution though. Doesn't look uniform. But Hunter PGPs are very reliable.

Also, now you'll get a ton of responses about changing them to MP Rotators. Which I don't really like.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A supplier moving away from the PGP would be doing so strictly for the money, not with any quality issues with the head.
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i have had a lot of failures with the mini's as compared to the full sized...
  5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Spray pop-ups and any type of rotor do not fit together well in the same zone. They have different water distribution methods, GPMs, precipitation and infiltration rates, etc. and just don't match up at all.

Even if you had two completely separate areas (one spray pop-ups and the other some type of mid-size rotor) coming on with the same valve you will have problems. In order to run the zone long enough for the rotors section to get adequate water you have then flooded out the spray pop-up area. If you cut the time back to adequately water the spray pop-up area without flooding then the rotor section does not get enough water and browns out.
  6. Precision

I understand this and that is why I am looking at retrofitting mini gears in place of the pop-ups. Just wondering if there was something else that I would mess up (water wise that way)?

Like I said, it isn't an issue of new installs, I know how to handle that. Separate zones for separate types of sprinkler. Just in some cases I am trying to make things work better with what exists. Question is, does this make sense.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

For matching sprayhead water consumption with rotors, you might remove the nozzles and replace them with MP Rotators
  8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Retrofitting a zone is no problem. We went through a rash of LAs that specified multiple rows of spray pop-ups in some zones. We replace them with mid-sized rotors, mini-rotors or MP-Rotators depending on specific needs and spacings of the zone.

Key to the whole thing is to make sure that the new total zone GPM does not exceed what the original zone was putting out. In most cases this is no problem since you can cap off quite a few spray pop-ups during the renovation and gain their overall GPM that can be dispersed throughout the new sprinkler heads.

What you will have to recalculate is the zone watering time. It will most likely need adjusting after the new sprinklers are installed because of differing precipitation and/or infiltration rates.
  9. Precision

Yes, that is sort of the idea. One mini rotor will usually at least cover the area of 2 (sometimes 4) pop-up thus reducing GPM used and getting the precip to be closer to the same in all parts of the zone.

Thanks for your help.
  10. Precision

As I am relatively new to this I have not worked with MP rotators. And my irrigation supply sources locally are limited or well hidden. It is sometimes very annoying when I go in and ask for something and get the blank stare.

Looking on the net seems to be relative pot luck, so for now I am staying with what I know works. As I learn more (from you guys and testing at my house) I will become more adventursome.

Also trying to figure out the byzantine laws in my county to get licensed. Hopefully on Thursday I will be getting a study set for the test.