mini-ex+24" bucket

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tnmtn, Feb 16, 2007.

1. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i was wondering what size (HP/weight) mini-ex is needed to handle a 24" bucket. digging would mostly be in clay type soils, occasionally a few rocks. appreciate the help.
    good luck

2. Boondox

Boondox LawnSite Member

Can't answer from lots of personal experience, but the dealers I'm looking to buy from (3-3.5 ton under 30HP) say a 24" bucket is fine for sandy soil, but recommend a 12" for clay, rocks and stumps. Last summer I used a Kubota KX71 which is a 6300# machine with an 18" bucket and when digging in clay it got tossed around a bit if I didn't take small bites with lots of bucket curl. The Volvo EC35 (37hp and 7300#) did better with a 24" bucket in the same soil. The Kubota KX121 (42hp and almost 10,000#) excelled with a 30" bucket.

That said, the machinery seemed to do better as my skill level increased! ;)

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

We run a 24" on our 303CR. The machine has 27HP and has an operating weight of about 7,300 pounds. We're in really sandy, loose conditions with light rock in most places. I'd a say a 10K machine would be sufficient for a 24" in clay. If I hit clay or caliche, I'm dead in my tracks. I wish I had an 18" for middle ground between our 12" and 24", but I don't. The 12", on the other hand, tears right through the clay like nobody's business.

4. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

thanks for the replies. that was about what i was afraid of.

5. #1 Catman

#1 Catman LawnSite Member
    from USA

302C to 304C would best be used Stick force is incredable. See www.Cat.com for specs. I run a 303,304/ thumb in clay. Great machines, great one stop shop they have everything I need.

6. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 24" bucket on my bobcat 435ZHS... does just great with it

7. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 30" clean out bucket on a 35c deere and does very well with it in clay.

minimax

8. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

I use a 24" bucket on a New Holland EC35 in clay soils. The EC 35 does a good job in most conditions. If you noticed, I said good, not great. If I bought a new machine, I would get one or two sizes bigger.

John