1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mini Ex for pond excavation?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

All of the ponds ive installed have been small enough to dig by hand however I now need to dig something a little bigger. Its not huge, around 12 by 20 and 3.5 feet deep in hard clay soil. Is it difficult to dig with a mini ex? I have never used one before so I don't know how smooth they are but I could like to get fairly clean sharp edges which I can imagine I will need to do by hand. Any tips would be appreciated.

2. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Dig some holes at your house- it's not hard to figure out- you wont be perfect yet it will make the job alot easier. You can get the major work done with the exc. and then finish by hand.

3. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

They aren't difficult to operate, but take a little getting used to. If you have a little extra time and a place, practice a bit. You can even just take scoops out of a dirt pile and put them directly back. Maybe somebody will let you play with their pile. And stack the odds in your favor by having all the utilities located. It's also a good idea to try to imagine what might be lingering underground that nobody has mentioned. (sewer line, drain tiles, pet cemetary, etc) Also, it'd be good to have a little breathing room when you first start...as in not having an audience, especially not your client.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

They are cake to use. I'd never used one before & picked it up really fast. Take your time & you should do fine.
  5. Lynden-Jeff

Peice of cake. This is going to be a breeze. I dug a hole I could just about burry my truck in and filled it back up without any problems. Wish me luck!

6. Turfinator1

Turfinator1 LawnSite Member

yeah its not hard just dont try to dig fast next to the house cause you could screw up and hit it. but its not bad
  7. Lynden-Jeff

Went great. Very easy to dig, Heres a picture with my partner. It is misleading, around 14 yards of HARD clay came out.

MASSIF LawnSite Member

If you can play a video game you can operate one. Once you use one, you will soon try to not dig another hole with just a shovel.