Mini ex - mulching considering

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by whiffyspark, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Buck OH

Buck OH LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Thanks for the info on the pic posting I will work on that tonight.

As far as tree size. Torrent said around 8", I would agree with that if you are just going to sit and eat at it. If I take it down in steps I have done trees up to 14" But I wouldn't recommend it to make a living. Now I have dropped limbs in fields off of big oak trees that are close to 24". But gravity is helping me.

Productivity is all over the place. Bottom line is how much you have to mulch. I can move along anyplace from 200 to 1000 ft per hour. but like I said it is all up to how much you have to eat. Roadsides are slower than field work. I did a job last fall that was a waterway though a woods. It was cleared with a dozer about 20 years ago and trees and brush had closed it back shut. I went 40 feet wide 1000 feet long and shaved the trees straight up down both sides. That took 3.5 hours. I also notice a big difference in the kind of trees that I have to take out. Some of the hardwoods here in Ohio are very hard. Some of the brush it just shreads so fast it is amazing. So that can make a difference also. I will work on the pics tonight and try to post this waterway job before and after.

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

3. whiffyspark

I'd also like Hyd qc but it seems kind of pointless to me with a mower. You have to get out either way for the lines

Has anyone added a thumb before? That Deere looks like an ok deal but no thumb
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Buck OH

Buck OH LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

mini with mulcher

mini.jpg

before.jpg

after.jpg

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Stay away from JCB and all Kubota and Taks are long arms. JD machines seem to be real popular with mowers. I would not buy smaller than a 50 size machine.

6. AWJ Services

from Ga

Which teeth do you have? How long have the teeth lasted? Most of what I will be doing are 3 to 5 inch oaks, sweet gum and pine with some underbrush. So does the torrent do a good job on mowing grass?

7. Buck OH

Buck OH LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I have round teeth all steel. I didn't want anything with carbide because of Rocks and fence posts. Torrent told me a set of cutters would last around 500 hours. I have around 400 on them now and would say they have about 100 hours left. Yes it does fine mowing grass.

8. AWJ Services

from Ga

They have a square tooth as well so I was curious which you use ans why? I found a company here in the Sotheast that has become a dealer for them and I hope too get one soon.

9. Buck OH

Buck OH LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

They told me that the square tooth would have a little cleaner cut but would not last as long. They also said that they would not hold up as well as the rounds. I have been happy with mine. Opened me up to a whole different line of work here at home.

10. whiffyspark

How do you like the Deere?
    Posted via Mobile Device