1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mini ex purchase dilema

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Nov 19, 2013.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

So the TB260 will be about 77k with 3 buckets. I can sell teh KX161 and put that 30k down and owe about 50 k on the new machine or I can keep the KX161 and buy a used 8 ton machine with about 2000 hours for around 50k.
    Thoughts?

2. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Can you keep both machines busy? I think that would make a huge difference in keeping the Kubota or not.

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have anything to move an 8ton machine yet? I thought all you had was an F250 and a gooseneck..
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would trade. Like Cornell says, unless you have enough to keep both moving. While your still developing that mulcher market, I would get the TK and replace the Kubota. There are many 8 ton machines that don't make as much flow as the latest machines (I am assuming you want the 8 ton to run the mulcher primarily). That seems like a lot for that machine. My TB153FR was mid 60's with one bucket 2' .

5. AWJ Services

from Ga

Takeuechi added a new dealer that took over my territory and I have no idea if this is a good price?

6. AWJ Services

from Ga

The machines would be too compliment each other. The 6 ton machines will dig septic trenches here in Georgia but on some jobs they do labor. They will get the job done but are at there limit with what I do, however sometimes the size makes it ireplacable. The 8 ton will increase productivity when needed and also have increased lifting ability. I also would eventually like too expand and have 2 crews but that is in the future.

7. AWJ Services

from Ga

I am buying a bigger truck at the first of the year and have already acquired a trailer but yes I will need a bigger truck and trailer.

8. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

If you're getting a bigger truck and trailer 50k would get you in a decent 130 or 160.

9. AWJ Services

from Ga

I have thought about that but that machine would be too big for my septic work and I unload on roads a lot. Of course I may be wrong on it being too big so I need too consider it.u
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I am not as knowledgeable as most the guys here. But I would think, unless you wanted to set another crew up exactly like you're set up now, you'd go with a machine that was substantially larger or smaller.

Ideally I would have a 5-6ton and a 10-12ton excavator. Just because I don't have a need for two machines of almost the same size.
    Posted via Mobile Device