mini excavaion machines

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by CAT MAN, Jun 17, 2008.

1. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Ok I am thinking about starting a excavation company when I'm 20 or so and want to know what machines I really need to start out, I work with my buddy and he has 2 excavaters and a skid steer, I would just like your guys imput on what you have and what it takes to get started.

THANKS

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My advice: Wait until you need something before you start thinking about buying anything.

3. CAT MAN

from PA

cool the mini guys around here just have a skid steer and rent excavators

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

what kind of work will you be doing? what is the access like on the jobs you will be doing?

5. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

He has no idea yet. First he needs to figure out why hes starting to grow hair in funny places.

J.

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

haha

CATMAN you can't just start a company with no experience either in the business world or in the operators world of you will get torn apart limb from limb

i have experience in both...running my own "companies" for a few years now and i have been operating now for 3 or 4 years and even i wouldn't be able to handle taking on a full time company just yet (not until i gain more education in what i feel i need)...if you go into your business with a plan and experience chances are you will be successful but if you just jump into the water and don't know how to swim then you will be in for years of money and personal trouble

just my advice

7. CAT MAN

from PA

your a pisser you are LOL, the work will most likely be driveways, septics, foundations, and ditch work. I was thinking of getting like a mini backhoe like a 40 some horsepower tractor with a bucket and hoe or do you guys think thats not a good idea?

8. CAT MAN

from PA

this Is what Im am kind of worried about, I would really like to have a mini excavation business but as you can see in my sig I want to work for leeward construction, they are the biggest construction company in the area and always have work, so in other words I think it would be better to work for them! what do you think

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i think you should go get a job working with a exc. company full time, this will teach you so much. then try to pick up some little weekend jobs and just rent the equipment until you have soo much work lined up you can quit your job and buy a machine and dump truck.

10. CAT MAN

from PA

True or I can just keep working for Leeward lets say and do some side jobs I know alot of guys on Leeward construction so I am very sure I can get a job there, It always was a dream of mine to have a small excavation company but working for a big one is just as good.