Lawn Care Forum banner

Mini Excavator 39-50 inches width

9K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  turfquip 
#1 ·
Hi,

I need to buy a mini excavator with variable track width about 39"-50", what brand would you buy or what brand would you never buy?
Thanks,

Greg

#2 ·
I've had a Yanmar SV08 for a few months now... great little machine, very versatile and fits anywhere. It's only 1 metric tonne though, and has a working width of 27" -> 33". Make no mistake... it's little but anywhere you can walk, it'll go :)

You gan get an idea of specs by going here and clicking into the Yanmar section... the specs of the various sizes they offer are all set out there together. It's not the machine for bigger jobs, but beats the s..t out of shovelling and, teamed with a Sandvic breaker, it's a hella lot better than swinging on a jackhammer! You can't run say a jackhammer non stop though, it's only got a 6 litre hyd tank (not sure on conversion to US gals) else the oil will boil.

In summary, top little machine if you're really stuck for acess; the work could be done manually but the machine goes all day and the manual... well enough said :nono:

#3 ·
I ran a Yanmar SV08 this summer for about 5 or 6 hours. Those machines are so small but the places they can get to is what makes them useful. Kubota's KX-41 has a variable width carriage from 39" to 51" and I hear Kubota makes pretty good minis.

#4 ·
I am interested in learning more about these also. I drive by some of the "big boy" yards and for the first time in years are starting to see "itty-bitty's".........and they are gone everyday that I drive by the yards (3-4 times a week). These guys are using Gehl....but that doesn't mean a thing....I don't know anything about these mini's.....so someone pipe up!

#6 ·
I bought an 07 kubota U15 last may. Its their zero tail swing model that has retractable tracks from 39"-48". I love it. It ran like a champ for me last year digging stumps, trenching, doing post holes, and also digging out around house foundations and basements for waterproofing.

It also felt comfortable for me when I sit in it. I don't feel crowded. A few of the things I really liked about it when I was looking at them was the front hoses all run inside the arm, and the boom cylinders are on the top side of the boom, so its a little more protected from junk and debris. It has auxillary hyros on it so you can run different attachments. Currently I have a post hole auger for mine. I really enjoy my machine its super smooth and really quiet. Also it doesn't smell like a diesel, I have had lots of comments on how there is no odor from the exhaust and how quiet it is. I was told that in its stock form it is approved for use indoors as well.

The one thing I did find is it doesn't have a thumb available from the factory. When I did my deal to purchase this unit my salesman was so set on wanting me to buy it he said that he "knew" they could get one for it, so we agreed on a deal... well it took most of last year for it to finally get here and they just put it on last week. (I haven't even picked it up from the dealership yet) It ended up being a completely custom built assembly for my kubota. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet or get pics but I will soon for you all...

Heres a link to the spec sheet. http://www.kubota.com/f/products/u15specs.pdf

Anyways heres a couple pics of her for you.

#8 ·
So far it hasn't let me down... I have dug some pretty big stumps out with it, sometimes it may take a while to break up the roots but they come out sooner or later... I am getting a ripper for it to make it a little easier to rip out the roots and also to allow me to dig in the frost in early spring and late fall.

This is the stump I was working on in the second picture above, it was kind of stuck between the house and the fence. Took about 45 minutes to pry it out but I could only work from the one direction so breaking up the roots was a little more difficult.

#11 ·
I've ran the Takeuchi TB016 several times and it's got great breakout force and fast hydralics. I've used it with a 2' bucket to do some trenching and it don't slow down much. The Kubota I've never ran but if I was in the market I've often thought I would check it out since the bigger machines do great.

The bobcat 322, the boom just doesn't look that stout on it

#15 ·
Kubota makes a good machine from what I hear. I like the Deere/Hitachi track hoes myself. If I buy one myself for starters it will probably not be a super expensive brand.

#16 ·
I run a yanmar vio30 for 9 years now with no problems. I think its a very dependable machine. my friend just bought a yanmar vio20-3 a few months ago and he loves it.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Tree Asphalt Mode of transport

#17 ·
Got a couple of prices of the different excavators:
- Kubota U15 $25,000
- Deere 17D $27,000
- Komatsu PC18MR-2 $29,995
- Yanmar VI015-2A $25,000
- Kobelco 17SR-3 $25,000
- Hitachi ZX17U-2 $27,000

As you can see the prices are close to each. Also the speca of the machines are close to each. Prefer to buy a used one, one year old with about 200 hours but it isn't easy to find one.
Thanks,

Greg

#18 ·
Got a couple of prices of the different excavators:
- Kubota U15 $25,000
- Deere 17D $27,000
- Komatsu PC18MR-2 $29,995
- Yanmar VI015-2A $25,000
- Kobelco 17SR-3 $25,000
- Hitachi ZX17U-2 $27,000

As you can see the prices are close to each. Also the speca of the machines are close to each. Prefer to buy a used one, one year old with about 200 hours but it isn't easy to find one.
Thanks,

Greg
http://www.mlsinc.com/frontend/list...d319-4032-bf82-fe198c29ed85&item=116541&ind=1

http://www.mlsinc.com/frontend/list...7df1-404f-8a36-eb73db32f574&item=196280&ind=1

http://www.mlsinc.com/frontend/list...7df1-404f-8a36-eb73db32f574&item=196278&ind=1

http://www.mlsinc.com/frontend/list...6b33-4d5e-b507-3faac96b7062&item=178893&ind=1

I would agree that finding used would be the best. I have seen this size machine go very cheap at auction. They are of the size that you either need one or you don't. The depreciation is rather steep I think again due to the limited nature of their capabilities.

#19 ·
Anything is better than digging with a shovel. There are jobs I have done I wished I had a mini mini.

I'am really surprised Komatsu is higher priced than the others. Komatsu here in B.C. is usually cheaper. My first choice is Hitachi second would be Deere third would be Kubota fourth Komatsu.

#24 ·
You really want to look at a kx41-3v or a u15 from kubota. Can't beat quality and realiability of their products. I've tried a gehl 223 with the house levelling feature, wow I loved that one, but it is a much larger unit than the kx model. Here is a shot of a stump that I pulled out with it when it was new.

Plant Tree Sky Land lot Road surface

Plant Tree Vehicle Tire Land lot

Plant Vehicle Tree Slope Grass

Plant Tire Vehicle Tree Motor vehicle

Plant Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.