mini excavator equals

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wmtom, Aug 8, 2006.

1. wmtom

wmtom LawnSite Member

I am looking at getting a mini excavator. I have been looking at the John Deere 50D, Kubota 161-3, and was wondering what the cat equivalent was is it the 304 or the 305.

Thanks
    Mike Thomas

2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

The Cat equivalent is the 304C CR (but the 305CR if you're looking at the used market). I'm not exactly sure why the nomenclature is a bit skewed, but the 304C and 305C CRs are absolutely awesome digging machines.

3. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

As is the JD50D...just took delivery of one last week, so I am a bit biased.

4. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

GO with the deere and you won't look back!!

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would also say go with Deere or Hitachi the 161 is good too but it does have its little quirks.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The Takeuchi TB53 or the newest version TB153 is also a very fine machine. I also had very good luck with IHI excavators.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Buy Deere, it's cheaper.

8. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

Scag saying buy DEERE??????????????????

9. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I like the 305s. Used one to put in a retaining wall and loved it. Will probobly be the first excavator I will get.

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well, unless you're favored to Cat or something else, no reason to not buy Deere. Out here, Deere isn't too much less than Cat, so you can afford to buy Cat paint becuase it's not that much more and the Deere service out here is terrible.