mini excavator for trenching?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Currier, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Have any of you used a mini excavator insead of a trencher for trenching? (new constructions...no existing lawns) Curious as to time/efficiency comparisons.

2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Don't waste your time stick with a trencher or a puller.

3. Currier

The reason I ask is that one of the premeir outfits around here uses his excavator. He said it eliminates much of the trench clean out, gives a wider area to work, and does an all around excellent job.

No one in this area pulls pipe probably due to the excessive amounts of rock in the ground.

4. Broker

I would agree if you are working with 3"+ mainlines and larger lateral lines. But for a typical job I would think it would be a waist. He might of already had the machine before getting into irrigation and did not think it was worth getting a trencher?? Good Luck with whatever you decide.

5. Broker

We purchased One of our pulling machines from a company in your region. It does have special teeth for rocks which is a unusual sight around here. Good Luck

6. Currier

What company did you get your puller from?

7. Broker

It was about 5 years ago and 3 maxi's ago. I could dig up paper, I actually won it on ebay.