Mini excavator question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by talus, Mar 19, 2008.

1. talus

talus LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know why Terex puts the the hyd piston on top of the boom on their mini excavators. The same set up like as a backhoe. All of the other mfg's put it on the under side. Is there a reason for this? :confused:

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Better leverage, but I like it for the protection if offers.

3. talus

Thanks. I wonder why they all don't do it like this?

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

That is European creation with the Schaeff machine. You see it on the 442BC as it is built by the same company. I am with BCron. I like the protection of it. I am not sure it is as efficient as lifting underneath but I am not a engineer.

5. talus

The Terex and I.R. machines look the same. Does one of them also make the 442 for Bobcat? Thanks for the info.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, Terex bought Schaeff and the BC uses the Schaeff machine marketed as the 442. I demoed the 442 and I thought it was a big pig. That of course was my opinion.

7. talus

I have heard that about some of the Bobcats. I've never operated any of the Bobcat mini's. On paper the Takeuchi and Kubota seem to have it over the others.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That isn't a very good design it makes it jerky like a rubber tired backhoe with the same set up. I had to look up Terex website to see what you were talking about :laugh:

I don't see any benefit for doing it that way and when a hydraulic line blows or the seal blows in the ram the operator get a hydraulic oil bath :cry:

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The 442 is the only machine that BC does not make themselves. As far as BC excavators, I have not seen anything about them to make me want one. The reliability record seems poor based on what I have read. The performance is not very strong. I really see no compelling reason to own one. There are some excellent mini excavators on the market, but they don't come in white. IMHO.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I'am not impressed with BC quality they never did excell in the mini ex market.

Terex was always known for the snot green wheel loaders with screaming 2 stroke detroit power :laugh:

Example

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYFIsSTuHHw