1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mini Fastrac Engine Options

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by pyedog, Jul 6, 2005.

1. pyedog

pyedog LawnSite Member

Even though it's more than I wanted to spend, I think I'm starting to lean toward the Hustler Mini Fastrac 36". I've got almost an acre of grass, but I have a fair number of scattered "obstacles".

My main goal is to get something I can keep a long while, and won't have to mess with too much.

The two main engine options seem to be the Kohler single cylinder 15hp, and the Honda 2 cylinder 16hp (which is $500 more). For almost the same price as the Honda engine I can upgrade to the Kohler single cylinder 17hp with a 42" deck, but I really don't need the extra 6" of deck.

What is the consensus for these 3 engine options? Is the Honda worth the extra $500, and how well will they be expected to last long term?

Thanks in advance for any advice/experiences.
  2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i can't speak to the honda engine. i do have the 17/42 and absolutley love it. the torque specs for the 17 kohler show about 1ft/# over the 16 honda. i have been in 6-8" damp grass and i can say this motor can handle it all day long. i also have owned several kohler engines and have never had problems. when i was shopping for a ztr, several brands i saw used b&s engines which i absolutley refused to consider. eventually i found this site and hustler mowers about the same time. that was all it took. either the honda or the kohler will serve you well. buy the largest deck you can and buy hustler!
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Either engine will work great for your application, as long as you take care of them in regards to maintenance, you will have a long life out of both.
    A lot of the choice depends on your personal preference on engine MFG's