Mini Fastrak 36 vs. Gravely 34z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by krazy8, Jul 2, 2004.

1. krazy8

krazy8 LawnSite Member
    from 33176

I am in the market for a zero turn mower which will be used mainly for my 3/4 acre property and the in-laws next door. I have narrowed down my choices to Encore z34, Dixon speedztr36, Gravely 34z, and of course the Hustler mini fastrack 36. I need the small size because I have gate issues to deal with, or I would prefer to go a little larger. I have almost ruled out the Dixon as it does not look like a machine that should cost as much as it does, and I'm worried about longevity. The Encore Product looks well made, but I'm hearing my local dealers questioning keeping the product, and finally the gravely 34z which my local dealers are really pushing. I think it's down to the Gravely & Hustler, my biggest concern is longevity and the Gravely guys are telling me I'm getting a commercial machine with a better engine(Kawasaki 15)that should last me a lifetime based on my current mowing needs. They are telling me that the Hustler is more of a Homeowner machine, and the longevity might not be there. Since both are pretty closely priced (Gravely dealer was quoting $250 more) I like the idea of a commercial machine. I really liked the Fastrak machine and it looks very solid, can I expect this machine would last as long. I wish the Hustler dealer would deal with me a little to make it an easier choice, but the Gravely guys are making it hard for me to pass up. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to make this purchase the last one in a long, long time. I am sorry for the long post.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Mini FasTrak is definitely a home use only unit.
    You are comparing 2 units that are very close in build quality, performance and durability, I feel they would both last you in home use a long time.
    The Gravely is using Hydrogear brand drive systems in there unit, particularly the "IZT" we also use this, but it is in our FasTrak, not our Mini FasTrak, in the Mini FasTrak we use the "EZT" a model below the "IZT", we have found it to be a ideal drive for this unit.
    I feel if you demo both and feel the difference in the controls and handling, and see the difference in cut you will have a new Hustler in your stables.
    Demo both and then make your decision.

Pj

3. krazy8

krazy8 LawnSite Member
    from 33176

Pj,
    I was wondering if you could explain the main difference between the Ezt and Izt transmission to me and what could I expect as far as longevity(Hrs.) out of the EZT. As I stated before I am only planning on cutting about an acre a week, but I want know if this mower should be lasting me 10-15 years minimum with good care.
    Is the replacement cost of this transmission much less compared to the Izt, if ever needed. I am trying to justify spending almost as much for this machine then one with a supposedly better engine(Kawasaki 15) and better transmission.
    I have done a lot of research here on this site, and others, and I am impressed with the Hustler name, quality, and respect it gets from the people on this forum for both service and reliability.
    Please help with as much information as possible, as I will be buying my new mower next week. Gravely 34z or Mini FastraK 36
    Thank You

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I will get the info you request, I do not know it myself personally, but I will ask the people that do know.

Pj

5. miscon

miscon LawnSite Member
    from ks

I have been told by a dealer that the integrated pump/motor is the same (izt) on both the Fastrack and the Mini Fastrack. According to the previous post from pj, the Fastrack and Mini FT are different. What's correct????

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The FasTrak and Mini FasTrak use different units.
    They are both integrated hydro units, made by Hydro Gear.
    The FasTrak uses the IZT and the Mini uses the EZT, both are great units, the IZT is rated for more weight, thus the FasTrak is a larger heavier unit, that is why we use it in that application.
    The Mini FasTrak is a smaller lighter unit and we use the EZT which it is suited for ideally.

Hope this helps.

Pj

7. krazy8

krazy8 LawnSite Member
    from 33176

Pj,
    First let me say that if it wasn't for this forum, and specifically your responses and insight into the Hustler product I probably wouldn't have even thought to track down the Hustler dealer and now possibly purchase the product. So Kudos to you and your efforts.
    The one nagging problem I have holding me back from buying the Mini Fastrak 36 is this EZT & IZT hydro dilema. I talk to one of the competitors dealer and he tells me don't do it, you will be kicking yourself in a few years when they go out and they are not servicable. I then look at the products and demo them both, and I lean towards the Hustler. I wish I didn't have the gate issues or I would just step up to the Fastrak with the IZT and get it over with. Is the EZT the reason this machine is considered homeowner and not commercial. Is there a life expectancy on these EZT units. As I stated above I need to buy this mower now and get cutting, so I believe this should be my last response on the issue. Thanks again for all your help!

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

If your using the FasTrak's (regular or Mini) in the application there made for, residential home use, they will last a very long time.
    I do not have the life expectancy #'s, I can get them, I will ask the people that know this, and post back.

Pj

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

krazy8,
    you are really not comparing apples to apples here. While the little Hustler you have looked at is a very nice unit, it is for homeowner -type use. I believe you will eventually be disappointed in it if you try to use it in heavy commercial, day in-day out service. The Gravely 34 is a heavy duty, solid built commercial duty machine.
    If you need a narrow machine for commercial use, then the Gravely will provide superior service over the long haul. It is just built with heavier components. Especially the trans. system.
    I would hate to see you get a machine not suited for it's intended use. If you buy the wrong machine for your needs, whatever brand, and it fails to do the job, you will then feel the manufacturer has let you down.
    And yes, I am a Gravely dealer. However, I really like the Hustler products. They just don't have one ,(at this time), to compete with the 34Z.

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

This is true, the FasTraks are for home use only.
    In this situation as posted you will be using the mower for your yard and the in-laws next door, you should be fine as long as the in-laws is not a monster size estate.

Pj