1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mini Fastrak 36" - What a Great Product! AAAAA!

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Fooltergeist, May 10, 2005.

1. Fooltergeist

Fooltergeist LawnSite Member

I took my new Hustler Mini Fastrak 36” ZTR out for a spin this weekend and I have to report that I was extremely pleased with its performance. It took about half an hour to get used to the very sensitive steering, after which it became smooth as silk. It kind of reminds me of the Star Wars robotic machines where the machine responds to every twitch of the Star Trooper's body as he manipulated the steering levers. I took the machine to the edge of the cliff on my property, then turned around with an inch or so to spare, no problem. I would never have tried this maneuver with the old Craftsman riding mower. The cut was immaculate, pristine and simply beautiful. I criss-crossed an 18-degree slope with no problem, though I wish it had a seat belt and a rollover bar on because while the ZTR clung to the ground firmly, I felt in danger of falling off. I also hope the integrated EZT holds up over its 800-hour rating, which isn’t really all that long (800 hours divided by 24 hours/day = 33 days only in dog years – yikes! I wonder how long is that in human terms). Thanks, Hustler, for a fine product.

Anyway, I ordered a mulching kit for this unit, and my question is should I keep the stock blades when I install the discharge plug, or should I replace them with Gator blades? There seems to be a controversy about whether the discharge opening should be plugged or not when using Gator blades.

Thanks for providing a superb product and for taking an excellent pro-active approach to customer service and satisfaction. Truly a first class act. I said I bought this machine sight unseen, and I couldn’t be more pleased with the results.

How about a free baseball cap. Is this guy still with you - kraney@excelhustler.com - and is he still in charge of distributing these freebies to all members of this forum?
  2. Hustler

Hustler Guest

3. krazy8

krazy8 LawnSite Member
    from 33176

I just ordered the Mini Fastrak 36" today with the Mulching kit and I asked the same question in regards to the Gator Blades. My dealer told me that they were just like them with the big teeth, but they were made by Hustler. I'm not sure if that is the case or not, but I can't wait to get it home tomorrow for it's maiden run. I have been very impressed with all the support from this forum as well as the local dealer. I believe this was the best built machine for the money, I just hope as you do that the EZT holds out for a long time.
  4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would run the Gator's when using the mulch kit.
    When side discharging in dry grass I would be ok with the Gator's also, but if the grass is wet or damp, you will see some clumping with the Gator's, and that will also happen with the mulch kit in wet grass.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Forgot to mention....
    Welcome to the family! I am sure both of you will be happy Hustler owners.

6. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

Why are Gator Blades superior to my stock FasTrac blades? I only mulch, and I 've had good results. Sometimes there is some blade remnants - will Gator's really provide a better mulched grass?

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Gator blade has cutting teeth in the lift part of the blade, it shreds the grass finer.