Mini fastrak 42 Motor failure

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ejonesie22, May 27, 2008.

1. ejonesie22

ejonesie22 LawnSite Member

I was mowing my front yard this weekend when in a turn I found I had no drive on the right side. I got off the mower and found the tire/axel had pulled out about an inch and was sitting at an angle and oil was leaking from the seal. I jacked it up and the hub/axel was loose and could be pulled back and forth about 3 inches, though it would not pull past the seal. Needless to say the mower is out of commission.

I use this mower as my house, about 2.5 to 3 of my 5 acres is mowed. I would estimate it has 100 or so hours on it, I have owned it for just at two years (I have to find the purchase date/invoice in my files but it was in 2006 if memory serves).

I paid over 4000.00 for this mower because it was supposed to be one of the best. I have dealt with the bearing issue in the spindles and that is all good and well, the spindles were not that expensive, but if I am looking at 2000.00 every couple of years for transmissions I am needless to say not happy at all. I am not sure what the warranty is on the transmissions since my paper work is up in the storage room, but it needs to be pretty good if this is an issue

What has been everyone else’s experience with this mower? I searched the site and saw there have been issues with the drives. What am I missing here and what can be done?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Depending on when you bought your mower, the warranty is either 2 years or 3 years.
    Since this was posted yesterday and I am just now catching up on posts, I am thinking you have talked to your dealer, if not e-mail me and I can facilitate this for you with your dealer.

Pj

3. ejonesie22

Thanks for the response PJ.

The dealer (Fredrick’s in Brandon MS) verified yesterday evening what my wife thought, it was 2005 when we bought the mower. 4/30/05 to be exact.

I am one month out of warranty.

I am unsure if these hydros are part of the paper filter bit I have seen here on Lawn Site, if they are, Fredrick’s never mentioned it. They are original to the mower.

It is a residential use mower, I mow my yard with it, 1.5 acres weekly during the season (April-Oct here in MS) with an additional 1.75 side yard I hit every two weeks. It is gentle slope with on or two sharper small inclines and a few trees here and there.

PJ I have to admit I am a bit let down with this, I bought the unit so I would have a machine that would last awhile. At 500.00 a pop the hydros are a bit of a big ticket maintenance item. The mower has been great otherwise and I was glad I got it over some Home Depot/Lowes unit. But 500.00-1000.00 every couple of years or so is a bit much in a 4000.00 lawn mower.

So my question, is there any help from Hustler on this? I don’t have an easy way to get it to Fredrick’s though to me that is no big deal, I have a fully setup shop at the house and have done all my own maintenance to the mower to the letter of the manual and the drive looks incredibly simple to get to. I am also leery of the other drive unit now as well.

Would appreciate any guidance

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

ej,
    i'm not sure if it is the same thing, and i will say that if there is any person or company that will go the extra mile for a customer it is PJ and Hustler, but my dad bought a dixon several years ago that has the same EZT motors as the MFT and his mower did exactly the same thing as yours. it turned out that there was a retainer clip that was omited at the factory. Hydro-Gear sent a new motor and Dixon paid to install it.
    good luck on your problem. i know how it feels to be without your mower. i had a spindle bearing go bad 3 weeks ago. that break down, combined with an out-of-town business trip to keep me off the yard for two weeks. i was like a junkie when i got my mower back to the house. i couldn't wait to get back on the mower. i was almost shaking with anticipation!!!!!!!!!!

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Please email me ASAP with your information including phone # and your model and serial #'s.
    I will see if there is anything I can do.

Pj

6. ejonesie22

Thanks PJ. I will send it when I get home tonight.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Got it.
    I will work on getting the info to someone that can look into it Monday.

Pj

8. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

nmurpf, how many hours do you have on you MFT now that a spindle bearing went? I thought these 'permanently' sealed units should last forever for a homeowner...

9. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

don't know exactly.........i've been to lazy (read: cheap) to put an hour meter on the mower. probably 200 hours, or so.