Mini FasTrak throwing lots of clippings

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by novat_99, Jul 11, 2006.

1. novat_99

novat_99 LawnSite Member

I'm a new owner of a 42" Mini FasTrak with the 16hp Honda engine. I've had it for about a month now and the tractor has been handling great.

The only problem that I've been experiencing is that the mower is throwing out a great deal of clippings onto the lawn (been cutting it at the highest setting)...and I'm worried about building up thatch. I've even begun to mow twice a week to cut down on the clippings.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong?...would a mulch kit & different blades solve the problem?...if so, what are the part numbers?

Thanks,

Tom

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

In some conditions and sometimes in mulching and bagging scenarios this can happen.
    We offer a kit to take care of this, here is the information.
    Kit, Mini Fastrak Air Flow/Blow Out Kit 42" Part # 101857 MSRP $39.00

3. novat_99

novat_99 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info....is this kit something that I can install myself or does it have to go back to the dealer to have it done?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is simple to install, you can do it yourself if you have some basic tools.

5. krazy8

krazy8 LawnSite Member
    from 33176

PJ,
    I have the 36" Mini-Fastrak and have the Mulch Kit and gators, but seem to be leaving alot of grass clumps after cutting. I cut pretty slow and have it set at the second highest setting, but still can't stop the clumps. I know South Florida Bahia is pretty nasty, but is this blowout kit something that would help, or would I be better off doing something else. I as well feel like I'm starting to get alot of thatch build up.

Thanks,
    Mark

6. par69

par69 LawnSite Member

Grass clippings are good for the lawn. It cuts down the fertilizer you use. Any organic material you can work back into the soil is good.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

How much are you taking off?
    This kit may help some, but its primarily made for blow out type conditions, not clumping.
    I would get those Gators off the mower and put our mulching blades on there, I think that is where your problem may be.
    The short mulch blade is part number 794206 - (13.75"), the longer mulch blade is 794214 - (20.50")