Mini Fastrak?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by dlite, Apr 2, 2007.

1. dlite

dlite LawnSite Member

I have just moved into a new home and have approx 1.25 acres with a fair amount of tree's. Fairly flat property with one small slope which should pose no problem for a ZTR or lawn tractor (in my opinion). From all I've read on this website, it seems like the Mini Fastrak may be perfect for my needs. But to be honest there are SO many ZTR mowers out there and SO much information that making a decision and going forward is VERY difficult. I originally was looking at the Toro's homeowner mowers but from what I've read the quality of those doesn't stand up to any of the Hustlers or high end homeowners mowers that some of the other company's provide. I've just been going round and round trying to make this decision. I initially didn't want to spend anything over 3k but from all I've read it seems like I have to in order to get a decent machine. Any other input someone from Hustler could provide to help make my decision making process easier would be great.......or anybody's opinion for that matter. Thanks.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Well you have already been enlightened, you have seen the differences and also know that good quality isn't cheap.
    Yes you will spend more than 3k for a good mower, but your getting a better warranty, frame, deck, engine options and overall better customer satisfaction.
    The main thing I can recommend is to test drive a couple brands and then try the Hustler, you will be amazed at the difference in feel and performance of the Hustler mower.
    Don't forget the following..
    Patented parking brake (built into the control levers)
    lifetime frame warranty
    3 year overall warranty
    Full welded deck, not stamped thin metal.
    Better engine options
    Low and wide, makes for great handling.

Pj

3. wbwanzer

wbwanzer LawnSite Member

I bought my MFT last September and I have only one regret: That I didn't buy one sooner! I love it. As a matter of fact, I mowed yesterday for the first time this season and it was fun. You actually look forward to mowing.

Last year I was torn between a Cub Cadet Z-Force and the Hustler. What decided it for me was that the MFT has only five grease points that are all easy to get to. The Cub had about twice as many and some were underneath. Might not sound like much, but I'm awful at remembering to grease, so less and easy to get to is important to me. The other deciding factor was that my Hustler dealer was willing to bring the machine out to my house so I could try it on my hill. The Cub guys (where I had bought my last two machines) wouldn't even let me cut grass at their place. So Hustler it was and as I said, my only regret is that I didn't get one a couple of years ago.

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i have a mft. search my name on this forum for my comments. wait, i'll save you the time. i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it makes cutting fun.
    i now have a larger yard and am considering a FT 54"-----ya hear me PJ?

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I hear ya!!
    Go to your dealer and get it!!..lol...lol....
    You will fall in love all over again with the new FasTrak's....

Pj

6. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the Hustler. I don't know how the MFT are but the FTs are amazing. I have used the Ft on heavy grass and it went right through it fast. I have been told by several dealers that a lot of landscapers use the them for their smaller yards. I almost bought one but opted for a Mini-Z. Don't even look at anything that Lowe's, Home Depot or Sears sell. They are just lawn tractor pretending to be a ZTRs. Look at the decks on them, same as the tractors. I would think the repairs would be even higher than the cheap tractors. The Hustler will be the last mower you will ever need and with it commercial or near commercial quality it should run forever. Check on the special Promotions at the top.

Ed

7. dlite

dlite LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. A couple additional questions.

1) Is a Mini Fastrak the right mower for my size yard (1.4 acres minus whatever space the house/driveway take)? So would estimate somewhere around 1.25 - 1.30 acres(?).

2) Are there any opinions out there on how a Simplicity (Javelin and/or Champion) would stack up against the MFT? I'm considering that brand as well.

Thanks.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

1) Its the right size for sure, that is a small amount of mowing.
    2) I am not to familiar with the Simplicity so I really cant comment, but I would drive both and get a feel for both before making a decision.

Pj

9. byronfunk

byronfunk LawnSite Member

I too am looking for a smallish ZTR for my yard and the MFT seems to fit the bill nicely. I'll probably end up mowing mine as well as several others (parents, parents-in-law, etc.). I want a mower that will last a long time and something I can teach my kids to use and possibly earn some money in the future. My (now) 9 year old daughter shows an interest and I'm thinking it could be a good thing in a few years. Thus, the MFT seems like a good one that would handle well for a child. A few Q's... Am I crazy in thinking an 11-12 year old kid could use this? Is there a rubber chute for the MFT? How well does the bagging system work for grass and leaves? How well will the tranny hold up? I'm looking at the 42/16. How well does the Honda perform? I hear they are expensive to maintain, but they don't need to be repaired that often! My grass is growing and my old mower bit the dust! Thanks!

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I certainly can not comment on the use of the mower by a 11-12 year old, that is a decision you will have to make with her abilities and skills.
    There is no rubber chute for the Mini FasTrak, I am not sure we are going to offer one either.
    The bagging system for the Mini FasTrak is a non blower type unit, you install a high lift blade on the discharge side of the deck and it forces the grass and leaves into the rear catcher, now if they are wet or too thick you need to slow down a bit for better performance.
    The Mini FasTrak uses the EZT hydros from Hydro Gear, we have used them for 3 years with little to no problems with them, they are the perfect fit for a machine of this size and class.
    As you heard with Honda engines... they are great and they are a very large part of our success with the FasTrak and Mini FasTrak series of mowers.
    As to them being expensive to maintain? I am not so sure they are to much more expensive to maintain than a similar commercial grade engine.

Pj