mini fasttrak oil change

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by nmurph, Jun 28, 2005.

1. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

ok mowerconsultant, i really, really love my mft 17/42. however, who designed it so that the oil runs onto the muffler heatshield and everywhere else when the plug is removed. i searched for a Fram Quickchange and a DrainZit. neither list a 3/8ths". i have also tried to rig an extension tube, but i don't think there is enough clearance. i gave up on the this idea because at best i will have a metal pipe touching the muffler and i don't want the heat transfer to the oil. it looks like the only way is to remove the bumper and muffler. HELP!!!
    also, what does the mulch kit for this mower include?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I will have to look into the oil drain situation, I am not picturing it in my head...
    As far as the mulch kit goes, the kit has the block off plate and a baffle that bolts in between the blades.

Pj

3. Seeg

Seeg LawnSite Member

I have a new 16/42 Mini Fastrack with the mulch kit, and it came with no baffle, just the block off plate. Does it need the baffle for in between the blades?

4. nmurph

from ga

the oil drain has a stub that is a inch or so long with an elbow on the end. i tried to extend the drain downward with a 3" pipe, however there isn't enough clearance to prevent the downward pipe from contacting the muffler.
    i have done the initial oil change. what a pita. when the drain plug was removed the oil went all over the muffler, inside the heat shield and out of both ends of the heat shield. next time i will remove the muffler to prevent the oil from covering the muffler. this makes what shold be a 15 min job into an hour job.
    solutions??????????

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have e-mailed our engineers on this one, I will advise when I have a answer.

Pj

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have found out our engineers were recently made aware of this problem.
    There is a new drain valve we are going to start using soon, it has a "barb" on the valve pointing down, you can attach a hose to it so the oil will drain neatly into a container.
    E-mail me and I can get the part # for you.

Pj

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have also found out the mulch kit on the Mini FasTrak's does not have a center baffle, they only have the closure plate.
    Sorry for the confusion, I just found out myself.

Pj

8. nmurph

from ga

thanks, pj...i was really p.o.ed when i changed the oil. it went everywhere in the garage, on the exhaust, etc..........and everything else on the mower is so well thoughout. will this be recall type change or will the customer have to purchase this piece?
    one other thing, is there an extension available so that the control sticks don't hit my knees, which they do unless i sit up extra straight. i'm 6'4" and the mft is a little cramped.

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It will be a running change on the mower when we do start to install them.
    Your dealer may be able to get a exception on this, call him and let him know your situation.
    For the Kohler Courage powered Mini FasTrak's, Part # 796516 valve is to be used.
    For the 16hp Honda Mini FasTrak's, Part # 791608 valve is to be used.
    On a side note, when using the hose on the valve, you must remove it (the hose) after changing the oil.
    There is a extension kit available for your mower, it is part # 333724.
    Hope this helps.

Pj

10. lueckenhoff

lueckenhoff LawnSite Member

I had exactly the same complaint with the oil drain design on my own MFT 17/42.

Searching lawnsite, I discovered the "fumoto valve"

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Their N-Type Valve

https://ssl2.adhost.com/fumotovalve/static/products/oem.htm

can hook directly into plastic tubing to direct the oil into a catch pan.

I installed one of these on my Mini FasTrak 17/42 and am satisfied with the results.
    I can now can change the oil quickly and with no mess.

my $0.02,
    Bruce