mini forest needs to be cut a.s.a.p.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REENO, Jul 20, 2005.

1. REENO

REENO LawnSite Member

[SI[SIZE=7 :cool2: [/SIZE]i was in the market for a brushcutter/forest clearer, any ideas on the best one to get??
  2. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl FS80 can be used as a brush cutter or string trimmer, its the low end of the proffesional series, i personally own the FS55 trimmer, i beleive you can use a blade with it too, it retails for right at $200.00 i beleive
  3. REENO

REENO LawnSite Member

what about the fs 350? whats the word on it?
  4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The bigger the better! Too much horse power is almost enough!

Buy the biggest brush cutter you can afford and make sure it comes with a full harness. With the harness adjusted correctly you will not even notice the weight. Wear a helmet system to protect your head, eyes & ears.

A brush cutter can take down 6" diameter oak trees in just a few seconds with the right blade. Blade selection is based on the size of material your cutting. An 80 tooth saw blade must be used like a scythe while the blades which are stamped to look a bit like chain saw teeth and can be sharpened with a 7/32 file or a flat file can be used just like a chain saw. Never ever use the 3 or 4 tooth blades on a brush cutter. They are just too dangerous. The more teeth the blade has the safer it is. I have split a 4 tooth blade all the way back to the center hole.

Been there, done that
  5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Do you need a dedicated brush cutter? Otherwise, why not a large string trimmer with blade attachment? The dedicated brush cutters have the "bicycle handles" which I can't stand. We use a big Echo with changeable heads, works great. Use the right blade . As Oldtimer said. I think the 8-tooth blades are not worth buying. We usually use a 3-tooth grass blade, and bring along a blade (22 teeth I think?) with the "chainsaw shaped" teeth. Keep the blades sharp, and don't hit the ground or rocks!
  6. REENO

REENO LawnSite Member

not really,i have a 4 stroke trimmer,but didnt want to get the attachments