Mini or Super Mini?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cybervision, Apr 2, 2007.

1. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, I am replacing my 60” Bunton walk-behind. After a lot of research I am ready to purchase a Mini Z 24/52 Honda. I am not sure if I should move up to the SuperMini or not. The price difference is very small. I have only been able to demo the mini and can't locate a Super Mini for Demo. My concern is if there is a difference in the fine control of the SuperMini when trimming. It would seem to me that with such a large increase in speed that the slower speed will be affected. For instance if you move the lever 1" on each machine will the Super be much faster. I am a homeowner with about 1-1/2 acre to cut and a lot of trimming. Also, I am planning on plowing snow with this unit and have heard of complaints about some Honda engines having cold weather problems. If this is the case I should get the Kawasaki. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Ed

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

For the price difference, I would go Super Mini if its minimal $'s, you just get so much more for your money.
    You will be fine on the controls while trimming, they are very smooth and not jerky like other higher ground speed units.
    As to the Honda vs Kawasaki..... both are great engines and both are going to act similar in cold weather.
    Are you going to be storing the unit inside in the winter? you really should have a problem if you do, both units will need to be started a few minuted before you go to work in the cold weather.

Pj

3. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

"For the price difference, I would go Super Mini if its minimal $'s, you just get so much more for your money"

Wouls you mind posting on the "more for your money part"? I am trying to make a decision between a Hustler or an Ezmark. :hammerhead:

4. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

I love the Honda engines. But the 25 kaw has more torque and the 24 honda seems to foul plugs in cold weather and be harder starting. If it was my $, I would buy the 25 Kaw Super Mini Z.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Larger pumps and wheel motors.
    Hydro coolers with electric fan.
    Suspension seat is standard.
    13 mph = More productivity
    Better warranty.
    Patented parking brake, built into control levers.
    Lifetime frame warranty
    lifetime leading edge of deck warranty
    3 year spindle warranty
    2 years PARTS AND LABOR warranty

6. cybervision

I just got off the phone with my dealer ordering the Super Mini with the 25hp Kaw and then your post came in. He was telling me the same thing. He has several of his long time customers (using other Brands) saying their newer 24 hondas have less power than when thay had the same machines with smaller Kaw's. And I love Honda engines. I have a 11hp Honda snowblower that easily throws snow 50 or more feet and runs great. Thanks, I can't wait to get the mower.

7. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Ezmark doesn't make anything close to the Super Mini Z

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sweet!!
    Welcome to the family!!!
    Your gonna love your new ride.

Pj

9. cybervision

No so fast on getting in the Family. When I spoke to 3 of the local Hustler dealers they all said they could get the machine in 2 days from the distributor. Now that I ordered the unit it seems there are none to be had. Apparently nobody uses Super Mini Z around here so they don't bring any in. Most use the 19/52 Mini or Fastrac in the smaller sizes. I don't know where I stand yet. Besides wanting the new machine I want to get my 60" Bunton walkhind up for sale now. :confused:

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

E-mail me your information and your dealer information and I will see what I can get done.

Pj