mini rotors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JB926, Apr 14, 2007.

1. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have been wanting to start using mini rotors for certain apps and want to know everyones opinion. What mini rotor do you like using best??

2. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Give a manufacturer and type of one for comparison purposes.

3. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

It doesn't seem like mini rotors are always as reliable as the big ones, but the Hunter PGJ is a good option. The Rainbird 3500 is also an option, but since it costs as much as the 5000, I think you would just use the 5000. The K-Rain Mini Pro is a less proven option.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

The PGM was crap. The PGJ seems to be somewhat better. The RB 3500.........I haven't liked what little I have seen of them. Mini-rotors cost about what a full size rotor does and the failure rate is higher. The best option I have seen is the I-20 w/ the short range nozzle set. This isn't a good cost option compared to the others, but for reliable watering at these ranges, I don't think you can beat it.

5. I HATE to use a PGP or and I20 or for that matter a RB5000 to shoot 20feet or so....it irritates me.....I have no clue why.

Because of that, I use the PGJ and usually I am upset w/ the performance...is it just me, or do the nozzles not have the range according to the charts?

That being said, they are fairly reliable.....more so than the 3500 in my opinion, that POS, if you look at it wrong it breaks.....

Do you really use a regular rotor for 18-21 ranges?

6. I would use a MP Rotator over a mini rotor ....

7. I really need to install some of these.....I just haven't done it yet....

I wonder why Hunter hasn't jumped on the stream rotor bandwagon .....

8. 1turfguy

1turfguy LawnSite Member
    from ma

i too have found that the pgj charts are off. switched out pgj for pgp w/ low angle nozzles

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

According to one of the product managers down at Hunter they're "working on it" but no timetable was given.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

That's what we're doing now. :)