Mini Skid Brush Mower

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by work4green, Apr 13, 2007.

1. work4green

work4green LawnSite Member

I'm looking into buying a mini skid for the primary purpose of brush mowing and removal. I specialize in taking jobs that larger machines can't or won't access.

Does anyone here have a brush mower attachment for a mini skid? Know of any brands you can suggest? So far I've only seen the brush wolf and was told there is a brush master(but I can't find a website for it). I'm looking for ideas. I need something that can cut 2-3" saplings.

Initially I plan on getting the brush mower, bucket(or 4 in 1), and a grapple rake or grapple bucket. Later on down the road I may consider a chipper, stump grinder and perhaps build/modify a few other attachments I've seen for larger skids but not the minis(sickle bar mower, tree shear, ??). I don't often use tillers, augers or most of the other typical landscaper attachments- but I can always rent them or adapt them from a 3 point hitch I suppose.

I'm demoing a boxer first- maybe vermeer, ditchwitch, or ? next...

2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I have not heard of anyone owning or using a brush cutter on their mini skid here or anywhere. I did see one in the Turf magazine that was advirtised in the miniskid attachment issue but it looks like it would be very slow. If you are looking to cut 2-3" sapplings I would just use the 4-1 bucket and pull them up out of the ground and shake off the dirt then scrape the ground with the bucket to fill the hole back in. That works great for my Dingo when I use it that way.

3. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

With EPA phase II regulations, the future is mowing the brush instead of uprooting. It won't be long until they start enforcing the regulations. They already are in some areas.

I imagine a miniskid would power something like a brushcat but it couldn't lift it. The bobcat mini skids have 13gpm, I believe. that's enough for light mowing only.

4. work4green

work4green LawnSite Member

YellowDog,

Is this the EPA phase II regulations you speak of? Griffin has been enforcing their rules on retention pond maintenance very strongly.

http://cfpub.epa.gov/npdes/stormwater/swphases.cfm

I don't expect the mini skid to clear large tracts of land- this is mostly for backyards up to a couple of acres. I've been looking closer at the jobs I do and more often than not a full size skid won't fit between the trees customers want to save without damage. I should have a boxer and mower attachment coming monday to demo. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Gilla Gorilla, thanks for reminding me- I have a couple of new equipment feature articles on brush mowers socked away somewhere.

5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an ASV RC30, so I don't know whether it qualifies as a mini or not. I tried the Brushwolf 4' unit from the dealer. It lasted about 45 minutes before it rolled the key on the hydraulic motor. Don't know whether it wasn't assembled right, or wasn't designed right, don't care, all I knew was that I could build something better. So I did, took a 4' rotted out 3 point hitch bush hog from central tractor (now TSC), cut the gearbox out of it, added a suitable hydraulic motor from Surpluscenter.com, and some 1/4" plate, a few feet if 1/4x2x2 angle iron, an afternoon of welding, and for about $1500, I have a unit that is a lot tougher than the Brushwolf, with only 1/3 the investment. You might want to search this same thread on tractorbynet, as it has been discussed, with other mfrs mentioned. Might be of help to you.:waving: :waving:

6. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Yeah, the phase II covers everything 1 AC or more and any contiguous lots in a subdivision that total 1AC or more even if they are not actually touching. Enforcement started in 2003 or 2004 and it can effect uprooting. According to TCEQ which administers the EPA rules in Texas, brush mowing or tree shearing is an acceptable BMP (best management practice) because it limits soil disturbance and the resulting sediment runoff. I look at the fields I clear with a brush mower or shear and compare them to the local dozer guys fields and mine have grass coverage and less erosion in week versus months.

7. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

8. YellowDogSVC

from TX

rockhound makes pretty good attachments but I haven't tried their mower

9. Keystone

Keystone LawnSite Member

Have you already bought a machine to run your brushcutter?

10. DerikL

DerikL LawnSite Member

DiyDave,
    How is your homemade mower working out. I was thinking of making a similar set up for my dingo. I did'nt know if it would be better to keep the gear box and hook the hyd motor to it or run the blade directly off the hyd motor. Do you have any pics?
    Thanks
    Derik