Mini skid comparison Vermeer, Ditch Witch, Ram Rod, or Toro

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by syzer, May 25, 2006.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, so we have been looking into these for some time now and we are going to start seriously looking at these machines shortly. I really am leaning toward Vermeer and ditch witch, however the closest dealers are pretty far away. This leaves me with Toro and ramrod.

What are the high points of these machines and which would be the best? We want a track machine, it will be used for everything from grading to trenching, auger, forks, box rake, etc. I want a heavy lifting and operating capacity, and high pin height. I love how the Vermeer can get into a 36" gate, but this isn't a necessity.

Any incite is greatly appreciated!
  2. syzer

No one can input?
  3. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

try the toro dingo. i demoed the bobcat, dingo, boxer. the dingo blew them all out of the water. from the controls to the ease of operation. i actually sold my cat 248 when i got the dingo.. there was just a discussion not to long ago about the dingos...
  4. Vermeer

Vermeer Inactive
    from Iowa

Appreciate the feedback on the S600TX. If you will be looking at the Toro or Ramrod keep in mind you will not get the same lifting capacity, reach or hinge pin height in comparison the Vermeer or DW. PM me and i can get you more info.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

check out the mini skid thread in the tractors section..... LOTS OF INFO.
  6. syzer

Thanks guys!

Yardpro, I read that entire monster thread, and you are right a lot of great info there. It makes us feel much better knowing the kind of success ppl are having with these small machines.

Vermeer, I thought that the ramrod has the most lifting capacity of all of them?
  7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I really like the toro dingo 425dx. But after playing with my buddies diesel boxer. I have changed my mine. Yea the controls aren't as nice. But he can dump into the back of his F-450, the dingo couldn't do that. So a boxer is on my wish list. But I got to get as bobcat 331 mini-x first.
  8. syzer

Yeah, thats def a nice feature to have!
  9. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

I've seen high dump buckets that hinge at the lip to give you greater height. Then you can get the nice controls and higher lift.
  10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I like my dingo 425 more than the boxer. The dingo is quicker and controls are super easy. You can train an amigo in one day w/ a dingo. It seems they might be a bit easier to work on. The vermeer is more expensive I think. I think it weighs more and has skinnier tracks, but I think it is a really well built machine. I have a ride plate for my toro, but I like the ability to walk behind it.