Mini Skid for stone removal?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Shady Brook, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have a large planter box, 15 foot square with about 12" of stone and rock. I need to haul it all away, and wondered of a mini-skid like a Dingo would do the job? I am afraid it will struggle do slam into the compacted stone and root it out into bucket's full. Anyone have any experience doing this type of work? I can get a bigger skid, but could use the mini on some other jobs while I have it.

Thanks

2. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

I had a mini skid last week and loved it. If ur taking out stone from only a 15 foot square area it would be perfect. I used the one made by ditch witch. It had alot of power i was amazed really. byt the end of the day i was a pro with the thing. lol and plus if your going to be using it on grass i would get the one with tracks like i did it saves the grass. It does turn up some sod but no ruts jus tears the grass.....easy seeding job

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the reply!

So you think it will be able to slam into compacted stone and dirt and effectively fill the bucket? That would be awesome. I have what I believe to be about 10 yards of material there to load. The hauling will take more time then the filling I predict. Any other thoughts would be great.

Thanks again

4. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

i was digging in clay that hadn't seen rain in over 3 weeks and it did alright. you'l learn tricks along the way that makes the filling of the bucket easier or quicker. 10 yds is alot i'd have to say. maybe a bigger machine would be better but i think u might be alright if your limited to space.