1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mini skid steer or compact tractor???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mickpeg, Sep 24, 2005.

1. mickpeg

mickpeg LawnSite Member

I have been renting a Dingo for some small landscape jobs and it has been very helpful. It has made me realize that I need to get my own piece of equipment for next season. I find the dingo very useful in most situations; however, it is very jerky (could also be me) and it doesn't do a very good job loading stuff in my small dump truck. I am wondering if anyone has experience using a Dingo or other mini skid steer compared to a tractor such as a Kubota 7610.
  2. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the Bob-Cat MT-55. It's a fantastic little machine.

I've been using one for my latest wall projects, and it works great.
    It's small enough to fit anywhere but not too big that it damages all of the surrounding turf. It has semi-smooth wide tracks.
    (Avoid the MT-52, it has narrower tracks with larger lugs and it will tear the $hi7 out of a yard)

I dont know much about the Dingo, but I do think it is smaller & lighter than the MT. The MT uses a Kubota diesel, the Dingo uses a Kohler gas (I think).
    The MT can run most all of the standard BC attachments, too.
  3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out the Boxer. It is available in both gas and diesel plus it is like a Dingo on steroids.

4. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

definitely go with a boxer, variable tracks give you stability and you can go through a 33" gate. Plus it has the most power out of any mini skid.
  5. majala

majala LawnSite Member

Like Mentioned Above, The Boxer Is An Excellent Machine---demo It If Possible ...
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I am in the same boat, but I cannot decide b/t a mini skid and tracked bobcat. Half my jobs I can use a mini skid on and the other half I need something bigger. I wonder how a T190 is on turf.
  7. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

check out asv they may have what all of you are looking for in a sit down model, look at the dimensions of their machines compared with other tracked machines, I have two and love them.
  8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Perform a search over in the tractor (?) forum. It has loads and loads of useful information on different users pros and cons of different brand mini-skids (i.e. dingo). Forget the name of the thread...

As far as your question you really need to ask which one you find yourself using the most. Is it a possbility for purchase one and just leave the other for rental for those special warranted situations...36" gate, more power, etc.
  9. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

If your in it for the long haul you will need a tractor , skid steer , and mini skid , all have their place , depending on the job requirements , also a backhoe attachment .
  10. DerikL

DerikL LawnSite Member

Does anyone have experience with the vermeer mini skid steer. How do the backhoe attachments work on a mini skid steer.