Mini skid steer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Pond guy, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Pond guy

Pond guy LawnSite Member

I need some input regarding mini skid steers (Dingo, Ramrod etc) I am currently shopping, so anyone with an opinion, let's hear from you. Some attachments I am interested in is a backhoe (how much power?) tree augers, grading attachments, power box rake. Thanks for your replies in advance!:D

2. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

I had a ramrod on rental for a job I did last fall. My honest opinion, not all that impressed......please understand it's better than digging by hand or moving material with a wheelbarrow but to me it wasn't what they(the dealer) made it out to be. Controls are touchy....very touchy....To the machines credit power to attachments was more than ample. The backhoe for the ramrod is very bulky and makes the machine extremely front heavy making manuevering tricky. When I say front heavy I mean so much so that with me(6'2" 240 lbs) riding it, the rear wheels were barely in contact with the ground....also negotiating grades is not easy with the backhoe attachment as it can't be safely lifted high enough not to be an issue with approach/departure angles(depending on the direction of travel. I had the machine for 7 days and feel I had a good chance to "feel " it out.....maybe with more use I would have come to like it more but I'll never know..... So you should also try the search function for more on this topic as I know it has been kicked around a fair amount here....

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had bad experiences with Ramrod. Check out my posts on the Heavy Equip. Forum. Also Capt. Devo has had plenty to say about them. At this point, Dingo seems to be the leader in that market sector. I'm renting one on Monday, will report back.

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Dingo update,

Finished a big job this week(finally!) and will report that the dingo is showing some wear and tear........

Was really the only machine I had there and well, I pushed it a little hard. Noticing a lot of wear and tear, and the machine only has 125 hours.

See a lot of 'stretching metal' on all the implements, from the bucket to the pallet forks, to even the tires which I am figuring will be bald at about the 200 hour mark at this point.

I'm learning it is not a substitute for larger equipment........

steveair

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

I used to deal Ramrods, the only one i cared for and had the least problems with was the 904tg, I sold some for coal tunnels and they are doing great. i had to add a kohler heavy duty filter system, it is true 4x4, no chain drives to fool with.

I've run them all.

Dingo......Great machine, well built.

Ramrod.........904tg only, but, mfg. leaves much to be desired. no help, parts are pricey.

Finn.......the best i've found so far, really strong, well built. mfg. is great to deal with. they make nice mulchers too!

Maxi-man.........JUNK!! stay away. really cheap and very dangerous.

gehl...... nice, and they do make nice larger units

kanga.........ok, lack power and capacity.

power-trac...........ok if you want articulation (easier on turf)

coyote..............another nice articulating machine. mfg has good reputation.

the backhoe attachments are heavy and are a pain. the Ramrod minidipper worked great for digging, you use the machine to twist and dump (alot cheaper)

my money would go for the Finn, they are serious little machines!!! The only one i could push up to a tree and the tires kept on spinning and digging.

i considered dealing them, but they require over $100k investment, that's a little too much for my market here in small town Iowa.

Have you looked into mini excavators? There are some really nice ones out there, and they are very handy.

Good luck!!

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I was recently in the market myself for a mini skid. But after looking at ALL of my options and requriements I went for a full size machine. The dingo's are great if you only need to move 1 yd or 2 of soil or mulch or need to get into really small areas. But You can only lift what 600 or 700 lbs.. Not for $15 K... For under $20k you can get yourself a good machine that can pick up 1800 lbs, move alot of materials , pallets, trees, stone, sod, grade, excavate, etc. Attachments arent much more expensive , but you can do alot more.. Plus , I havent' come accross any rental places with rental attachment s for the minis' .. So then what Buy every attachment you need.. Tha' ts crazy... My vote is for a full size machine...

7. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Rented a Ramrod on several occasions. the rental place used to rent the 750 and the 900, now o they only rent the 900. The guy said that the 750s were just getting the snot beat out of them. Anyway, the 900 seems to be much more capable than the 750 with the longer wheelbase.

Definately not a substitute for a larger machine, but it does fil a nice niche.

Eric

8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

From what I can see of the mini-equipment out now, rent them, buy a larger skid steer if it's a big install just add the torn up lawn to their price for repair. a good skid steer will last 6000 hrs plus I don't see getting that out of a Mini.

9. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Whetherto buy/rent a mini loader VS a standard Skid steer rely depends on several factors. One very important one is the trailer you currently use. Bobcat's/others pretty much peak out the axle limits of a tandem landscaping trailer so to go bigger for some, a heavier trailer and its expense must be figured in. A dingo or Finn you can easily put on a tandem (or single) axle trailer.
    I am seriously considering Dingo or Finn for my business. Although a tow dump trailer would be another expense to consider to save del charges on materials.
    Great input here. Thanks it has really helped.

10. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

Pondguy, if you have your heart set on a mini skidsteer go w/the ASV RC-30. It is on tracks and you can do so much w/it.