1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mini skid steer?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Bunton Guy, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting ready to purchase a mini skid steer. Not sure which direction to go brand wise but we do want to purchase something diesel!

Is there any brands to stay away from? Do all the attachments work with each brand? What do these units go for new? I see them for sale on ebay for $10-15K with just a bucket. More then likely will get a harley rake, trencher, auger, grappel, mulch bucket & pallet forks.
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Bobcat attachments are the only odd-ball mini attachments that won't fit any other unit on the market.

Everyone else used the Toro Dingo Attachment plate and almost all rental houses will have attachments with this plate.

The top two mini skids on my list are the Vermeer S650TX/S800TX and the Ditch Witch SK650.

Also do a search in this forum on either machine, lots of arguments on which one is better.

I personally run an 04 S600TX gasser. Just enough power to do what I ask and the money I saved on a gasser allowed me to buy a back-hoe attachment for it.

3. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Use the search button.....there are many threads on this topic.:hammerhead:
  4. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go for the ditch witch 650 I demoed one for a project and fell in love
  5. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

They are all great and super productive. Diesels are slightly more productive. I have owned every brand there is on the market except vermeer. Boxer is my least favorite dingo and bobcat are better and dw650 is my current choice.

I have a couple tx525 for sale for 8k each.
  6. White Gardens

What didn't you like about the Boxer?
  7. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

The controls are instane. 4 little levers to control the machine, 2 levers to go forward and backward, and 2 levers for the bucket. It is kind of like the wheeled dingo units. Very uncomfortable to operate.

Plus the idiots put exposed hydraulic cylinders under the machine so the tracks can be narrow or wider. No a good idea to have an exposed cylinder underneath a machine.

We picked up a vermeer 600tx with the kubota diesel a few months ago. It is doing well for us so far.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. carpy2012

carpy2012 LawnSite Member

Do you still have a tx 525 for sale?
  10. White Gardens

Ya, that's why I went with the Vermeer. The pilot controls for the bucket and the tracks are super easy for anyone to use.

I never considered the exposed cylinders on the variable tracks. Now super glad I didn't go with Boxer as I had considered that option.