mini skid steer

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by Guest, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I got it to try it out yesterday and bought it and used it all day today. Very impressive as the one I have, bc1250 w autofeed and 110hp turbo diesel, is not a small chipper. It has the 200 hp Cummins. It has a humongous drum and feed table and is considered a whole tree chipper.

I can get back to you on the weight but it is very well balanced on the dual axels and doesn't seem noticeably different than the other one towing. I probably will change it over to one of my 2 other bigger dumps, likely the Mack to get more box capacity.

I mainly bought it because we just got hit with a hurricane and have been doing a load of crane takedowns and I likely did more than most tree co.s before. Somebody may try to argue but I think I was the first one around here in the early 80's to do crane assisted takedowns after moving my bus. from the East Coast. We also have EAB on the edge of my base area.

Any questions Mike, I love to talk trees and equipment.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I have been in the business just about 40 years.

I will be 60 years old in Feb. but can go out the door right now and run 6 miles at 7 and a half mins/per pace easily and lift weights and play high level racquetball. I can climb all day but do not need to because of aerial lift trucks I have.

I look forward to work every day. This a great vocation.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Welcome too Canuck. I am curious too. Seems like you are making comeback plans already. :walking:

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Shame to lose all those clients you attained. Many years ago I was feeling like you then I decided to devote myself to learn about tree health. I started going to every Alex Shigo seminar and bought all his books. I now have a huge library of various tree health, anatomy, physiology, and tree care and ID books. It makes it a whole new ball game and you become much more than a tree laborer, you become more of a tree doctor. There is no way to get bored or ever learn it all.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

My son runs cross country and track for a small college. This weekend we get to drive out into the country to watch one of his meets. Really enjoy this yearly. He ran his 5 mile meet last week in 28. which is a 5.6 pace. Nothing earth shaking but good for him. I don't run that hard much, but usually jog 5 miles or so. One of my favorite books was by a guy named Henderson (I think) called something like LSD Running and it speaks of the pleasure of running Long Slow Distance and the benefits.

I am not familar with the Ramrod 900 but have heard real good things about the Ramrod while searching for a mini skid. I bought this one partly because of the local outlet. I have a shot at buying a used MT I believe I was told, that I am going to check out. I would like to have one on each crew in a perfect world.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Is the Ramrod 900 a tracked machine?

The friend that had the machine said it was an MT or something. I looked at it today and it is a Bobcat MT 50. Really nice machine with 30 hp diesel and bucket included. I traded an old vintage truck I haven't been using in the bus. since I bought the Dingo, a 51 Ford Wrecker, and some money.

This a pict. of the machine but not the one I bought.

View attachment 168

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks, since we were hit by a hurricane the work is currently seemingly endless and good quality. Seems like the perfect opportunity to set up another crew. I have tons of saws and gear and now have 2 chip trucks, 2 chippers and 2 mini skids. I have a good qualified (CA) groundman. If it doesn't work out I can always retreat, and sell as there is a huge market for wood reduction equipment and related stuff right now around here.

Dave

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Mike. I think these mini skids are the key to holding on to help and preventing injuries on the ground (your groundgame :D). Big ass chippers figure in as well as other fun equipment. Where is that area in Cal. you are located in? Do you have winters? (sorry to be so ignorant)

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I bet it is beautiful up there. Are you on the coast? I've been to SF and just across the bridge on a drive from SanDiego on PC Hiway. I went through infantry training at Camp Pendleton and been out there another time. Next trip we wanted to start in SF and head north. I guess you are too far north for Eucs? You do any snow plowing or just not enough like here?

I am in a northern suburb of Cincinnati called Wyoming. If you are out this way, look me up and I'll do the same. :waving:

10. Guest

Guest Guest

But you did not mention the Eucs as the big trees along with Oaks. Aren't the Eucs much larger at maturity than the oaks in your area Mike.