mini skid steer

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by Guest, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Dave,

i think you have the right atatuide with it all. And i def. agree there is a huge market of selling stuff. A good winter could help us all out in the construction/tree everything industry.

Two decked out crews like that is a great set up.

Mike

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Dave,

100 % agree.

Not a problem. I was born and raised in sunny fire ridden San Diego County, Califonia. I now live in Rohnert Park, CA which is an hour or so north of San Fransico in a small little college town in the middle of wine country. The winters the last couple of years haven't really been anything to write home about at least in comparison to what you are getting. We avg around 27-30 inch a year but not too many big wind storms. Last year over the whole winter had about 3 1/2 weeks of solid storm work but spread out from December - March basically. Helps pay the bills. I only moved up north 3 years ago so I am still awaiting a Big winter, again at least for us.

I am on the southern, and i mean southern tip really not of any BIG trees. Mainly Oaks, Doug Firs, some Redwoods are the big stuff. \

Where in Ohio are you...my dad side of the family is from S. Indiana Tell City, Indiana.

Mike

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Awesome,

I am roughly 20 miles east of the coast as a bird fly's. I am at the very southern tip of the Redwoods but enough in the hills mainly Oaks. That is a beautiful drive from San Diego up to SF on the PCH. I did it a couple years back we spent 3 days...a group of us saved all are change for 9 months and paid for the trip that way camping on the side of the road.

I am 45 minutes north of San Francisco off 101.

I up near the hills more then mountains not high enough for the snow. 3 hours from Lake Tahoe. A ton of Eucs up in this area. I thought I dealt with a lot while in San Diego but they seem to be every where up here. Used for wind blocks along highways and residential...The Euc. beetle has gone to town in San Diego, not too bad up here yet.

I am not sure how true but I have read that they first brought the Eucs of Gums, from Austrailla in the 1830's because of the gorgeous wood. They thought it would be fast growing and furniture wood. It did not work out that way...

I enjoy burning Euc...a lot of guys just hate Eucs around here, I love removing them. Good holding wood, dont seem to rot out too bad.

Mike

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ya, they def are...Just seem to do a lot more work on Oaks sticks out in my mind a bunch more.

Here is a job we did back in July...are these guys big.

These were the biggest Eucs I have ever worked on....the tallest is normally Doug. Firs and the biggest normally Oaks..

5. Guest

Guest Guest

As you can tell these were topped many times in the past...these were massive.

Homeowner took all the wood to burn.

Chips he spread through out his yard.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ya, the homeowner that lives there now, has been there for about 8 years. According to the original owner the trees were topped about 40 years ago...the one on the left was about 20 feet and the one on the right was 10-12 ft.

I should have added in, it was way back off a little dirt road...no crane access and from the angle the first picture is taken is/was a good size Canyon Live Oak. ..

Didn't damage the oak.

A lot of firewood though...

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi there. 1st post here. Thought I'd chime in on the mini talk. I have a Ramrod 900 with one of Daves grapples and it is an awesome machine. Wouldn't want to be in the tree biz with out one now that I've used it. I am getting out of the biz but if I ever get back in the 1st two things I'll buy will be a big chipper and a mini with bmg grapple.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Really just kind of lost interest. Been in business for 6 years. More or less have my area sewn up and have become the #1 local tree service. But I'm 31 years old and bored. I'm not challenged anymore and I'm having a really hard time staying motivated. So I've decided its time for a change. Maybe in a couple of years I'll change my mind and come back but for now I figure I'm young why not explore my options. Been thinking about it for the better part of the last year and then recently I was given a really good offer to be a rep for an insurance company. So I figure what the hell, I'm going to go try earning money with my brain instead of my back for a while. If I don't like it the trees will still be here.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

The 900 is a good little machine. The diesel models can lift more but the 900 gets the job done. You can actually drag a lot of weight with it. So putting logs on a trailer is easy. Just drag and place one end on the trailer then pick up the other end and push.